Tested Amp draw for Minn Kota Endura Max 45 (amp draw test numbers accurate?)

trey22

Cadet
Wired up my MKEM 45 to a Mighty Max 100AH battery and Bayite amp meter (checked all connections and amp meter settings, mulitple times). I did have it in the water! I know dry/no resistance tests are bad for a motor.

Specs of this motor say max draw of 42amps.

Here were the results:

Speed 10 - 1amp
Speed 30 - 4amps
Speed 50 - 10amps
Speed 75 - 20amps
Speed 100 - 31amps

I wanted to see if anyone else had test numbers to compare to mine, to make sure my numbers are accurate since I'd like to gauge how long I can stay out on the water. Is this motor really that efficient?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
were you pushing a boat? if not loading is different than in a barrel.

the manufacturer publishes amp draw

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Max current draw is with nearly a stalled rotor meaning near maximum load. Your numbers are realistic. Unless you know what the manufacturers test procedure is you have nothing to compare your numbers to. Test procedure is key when making these measurements.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I'm thinking that in the real world with all the variables this effort won't be of much value. Go out and use it, this will let you know how much run time you have when using it in the exact way you do.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
That same motor on a different boat will result in different current draw because the boat is heavier, lighter, slipperier, etc. All of those factors affect current draw just like they affect fuel economy and performance with a gas engine.

fishrdan

Admiral
Looks good to me. Agree with ST, max draw is at motor stall speed. I bet you'll see higher numbers if the prop gets wrapped up in weeds...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Water load is good, but you can mimic a better load by tying off to a dock and go through the same tests. The boat will not move and that should increase those numbers at even level. But even with that, it is merely suggestions at best. Too many other variables to guess accurately to know exactly how long you can stay out with your battery. Actual usage will give you a better idea. But even then as the battery gets older, the capability peters off as well. So use you common sense judgement.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If Minnkota specifies that the max current draw is 41 amps worse case, then use that number to determine how long you can be on the water -- also worse case. Obviously running at less than worse case conditions increases run time but you don't have data to calculate that other than what you gathered from your test. And since one normally runs at widely varying speeds that makes it almost impossible to calculate run time unless you have a data logger. Even then, no two outings are ever the same so you would need to monitor your use over many outings to establish average, minimum and maximum run-times. In the end, it is not worth the effort. The manufactured has set up the motor and prop combination for what they consider optimum performance vs battery run-time.