Terrova and Powerdrive V2 AP function...?

OscarNav

Seaman Apprentice
I was wondering if anybody has got a chance to compare these to motors AP function. The Terrovas says it is digital, the V2 has no mention of this. I am about to pull the trigger on one of these motors this weekend for my b-day, just dont want to regret not spending the extra $200 for the Terrova if it's AP is alot better than the V2's. I mainly fish lakes and resorvoirs. I use the Merc 125 to get me to a good hole and depend on the TM to push me the rest of the way as im fishing.

Is there any difference in the Maximizer of each motor mentioned here...? and my last question...do i need on of those Quick release Brackets to mount on of these motors on my Starcraft 1709 boat..?

Thanks..
~Oscar

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Terrova and Powerdrive V2 AP function...?

Have you asked Minn Kota? They are usually very responsive to customer's questions.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I would never permanently mount a troller especially if you travel or are required to store the boat outside. The quick release plate allows removal of the motor in seconds for safe storage. It also allows removal for travel so a custom cover can be installed without the complex shape up front to upset airflow over the cover and the resulting flapping and cover damage.

the Maximizer on the V2 and Terrova are the same. Although not positive I believe the AP is also the same although there is an option to add AP to a Terrova or Riptide where it not available for the V2. The main difference between the V2/Terrova is the very different stow and deploy mechanisms and the foot pedal.

The Co-pilot feature is different for the two in that the Terrova has a bypass feature that allows increasing motor speed to 100% to compensate for high wind gusts.

OscarNav

Seaman Apprentice

The more i think about it, the more the PD V2 looks better. Plus it is definatley cheaper. A new Deep cell battery, 6 AWG wire, and MK circuit breaker is also what i plan on buying.

How far can you run 6 AWG without losing any amps to the TM....? My runs are pretty long, about 19 feet or so.....?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

19 feet is a long run and you need to factor the ground side so the total run is actually 38 feet. I'm thinking that long a run requires 4 gauge wire. The calculator I used shows an 8.7% (1.1 volt) drop over that distance (19 ft) with 6 gauge wire.

OscarNav

Seaman Apprentice

Just out of curiosity........what does this 8.7% (1.1 volt) drop over that distance (19 ft) with 6 gauge wire do for the TM.

In other words, what would happen if i infact ran 6AWG...? Anybody know...?

One other option for me would be move the battery up to the front of the boat...underneath one of the seat cushion pads. But i am not so sure that compartment is vented. Does this pose a problem or concern...?

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

On my Starcraft I installed a battery in the front of the boat that is used just for the trolling motor. Also have a on board battery charger, so it is easier to charge between trips. Installed a plug-in for the motor, and a release plate so I can take the motor off for storage or trailering.
One last thing. I found that the co-pilot is a better accessory then the auto-pilot. It seemed with the wind and currents, a remote control hand held button is sure nice.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That 8.7% voltage drop means that you start out with 12.6 volts at the battery terminals but the motor is only seeing 11.5 volts so it is not operating at peak efficiency. I would strongly recommend that you move the battery to the front. It will help balance the boat and perhaps even make it perform better. You can then safely use 6 awg wire (and much less of it). Don't forget to add a circuit breaker to the positive battery terminal.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I did what Silvertip suggests, last spring, when I installed a bow mount. At 1st I wanted it in the back, thinking the battery would see a lot less vibration/impact. After contemplating the large wire size and the running of the wire, decided on front mount. Its only been a year, but battery has been fine. It only powers the trolling motor and bow depth finder.

OscarNav

Seaman Apprentice

Just to make sure then......the battery wont be affected inside this compartment that is NOT vented...? This would cut my run to about 3-5 feet at max.

I can see how it will balance the boat.....my only concern is the battery being safe. What kind of battery worls best for these applications...?

Deep cell or AGM......?

I been looking at a MAXX from wally world, price and warranty are good. I wouldnt mind spending a bit more if another said battery is (That) good, kinda like a terrova Vs. a PD V2

sschefer

Rear Admiral

AP on either motor is the same. The digital refers to the type of motor used although the ap and co-pilot are both digital electronics. The problem with all of the AP's is that the do not function correctly below 12volts. I bought the Terrova 12v 55 AP with copilot (1400.00) last year and had problems with the autopilot going whacko. The reps sent it back to the factory twice before I finally figured out it was a voltage problem. It's actually noted in the manual that the unit may not function properly if voltage drops below 12v.

I gave the Terrova to my brother and bought a PD with the optional co-pilot. It doesn't have the instant 100% but its only a couple of button pushes to 100% anyway so I don't think it's all that necessary for me.

The best way to go if you're going to run with the AP motors is on 24 or 36 volts.

If all you have is a single 12v and you need to keep that battery aft, then mount the breaker and a terminal board up forward so you can run 6 or 8 gauge to the motor from the breaker and 6 or 8 guage from the breaker to a terminal board and then 4 gauge back to the battery from the primary on the terminal board. This way if you ever decide to move the battery up forward or if you want to add another battery you can just drop it in and hook up to the existing terminal boad in parallel or in series and get either 12 or 24 volts.

OscarNav

Seaman Apprentice

AP on either motor is the same. The digital refers to the type of motor used although the ap and co-pilot are both digital electronics. The problem with all of the AP's is that the do not function correctly below 12volts. I bought the Terrova 12v 55 AP with copilot (1400.00) last year and had problems with the autopilot going whacko. The reps sent it back to the factory twice before I finally figured out it was a voltage problem. It's actually noted in the manual that the unit may not function properly if voltage drops below 12v.

I gave the Terrova to my brother and bought a PD with the optional co-pilot. It doesn't have the instant 100% but its only a couple of button pushes to 100% anyway so I don't think it's all that necessary for me.

The best way to go if you're going to run with the AP motors is on 24 or 36 volts.

If all you have is a single 12v and you need to keep that battery aft, then mount the breaker and a terminal board up forward so you can run 6 or 8 gauge to the motor from the breaker and 6 or 8 guage from the breaker to a terminal board and then 4 gauge back to the battery from the primary on the terminal board. This way if you ever decide to move the battery up forward or if you want to add another battery you can just drop it in and hook up to the existing terminal boad in parallel or in series and get either 12 or 24 volts.

I contimplated a 24V system...but thought this might be a little overkill for my 17' Starcraft boat. I had planned on buying a 55 ap Terrova for about $900....a 24v 70lbs PD V2 would be in my price range originally thought i would spend. $825.73 shipped) plus the $50 rebate.

I havent yet discarded the co-pilot idea and knowing me...i'd probably end up getting it soon as well. Something about trolling without having to push buttons or move a handle really sounds good. Even my wife said she'd appreciate it(she would usually hand steer the Motorguide). Any more thoughts.....

I can wait another week or so....im a very patient person, especially if it's worth getting. Like i said the PD V2 is really looking good, especially after a ex Terrova owner opted against it and had/has both....

Any and all comments welcomed....Thanks

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Don't get me wrong, the Terrova is a great unit but only if you get it in the 24v version. The 55 is a little small for your 17' I ran it on my 14 and it was a perfect setup except for the 12v system. I've got the 70 V2/24v on my 18.

The co pilot is the ticket! Forget the AP o.k. but once you learn the tricks of using a bow mount trolling motor you'll hardly ever use it. I would get the the V2 70lb in 24v with the co pilot and then leave the main motor draggin and steer from the helm.

Too many folks yank the main motor up thinking that its too much drag. If your working in and out of rocks or weeds or something like that then yes, you would raise the motor up but if you're straightline trolling it's actually not all that big a deal because with it down, your boat will track true and you won't have to fight the boats natural tendancy to drift. Heck, a lot of times I just point the trolling motor straight ahead and then I steer with the helm. I have hydraulic steering so it doesn't drift at all.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A 55# is not too small for a 17 foot boat. My walleye boat 16.5 foot uses a 50# PD and my 18 foot pontoon (1100# dry - minus engine & other stuff) is jerked around very nicely with a 55# V2. I rarely need to use full power for any activity and a good amount of time is spent on a river with a fair current. I also take issue with the requirement that the battery needs to be at the stern. Put the battery up front, use a largest deep cycle (reserve minutes) you have room for and go fishing. If you feel the compartment needs a vent you can add a small circular vent for a couple of bucks. The shortest run of wire you can get away with is always the best and having the battery up front helps balance the boat. There is already enough weight in the stern without adding another 40 pounds or so. I am not a fan of AGM batteries because I can buy two large standard deep cycles for the cost of one AGM.

NCUndertaker

Cadet

I just ordered the PD V2, 70 thrust, 24 volt and the copilot to go with it. Will report back as soon as it gets here and put it to the test. Will be bow mounting on a 20 ft. Tracker Grizzley with 125 Merc.

OscarNav

Seaman Apprentice

okay...i think i have opted for a PowerDrive Vs over a Terrova. This was the initial question/subject of this thread.....

Now what lbs. thrust shall i get.....55# in a 12V or 70# in a 24V...? Silvertip, do you have AP on you V2...?

sschefer....Do you know why and how come a 12V Ap aint as good as the 24 or 36 Volt systems...? On your V2, did you get the Ap feature or just got the basic V2 and added a Co-pilot....?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

okay...i think i have opted for a PowerDrive Vs over a Terrova. This was the initial question/subject of this thread.....

Now what lbs. thrust shall i get.....55# in a 12V or 70# in a 24V...? Silvertip, do you have AP on you V2...?

sschefer....Do you know why and how come a 12V Ap aint as good as the 24 or 36 Volt systems...? On your V2, did you get the Ap feature or just got the basic V2 and added a Co-pilot....?
I added the co-pilot. I explained the problem with 12v AP systems already. The 24v will give you twice the run time. You could run two batteries in parallel and use 12v but its not as efficient as two running in series at 24v.
A 55 will be fine on your boat as long as the water is fairly calm, the wind isn't blowing and your boat sits fairly low in the water at least that's been my experience with actual usage.

OscarNav

Seaman Apprentice

I have a Starcraft 1709 boat.

7_1.jpg

like this boat here. I dont know if mine is considered a boat that sits close to the water...Bowrider i believe. I dont ever fish in wind or high currents, very rare if i do. Minor lakes and resovoirs currents only.

I am confused about what model i need....Please help, i'd hate to buy the wrong one. By looking at this boat picture, you guys now exactly what i have and better understand my needs. The weight on this is 1350 lbs. acording to the KBB of boats.....not sure if this number is with or without the trailer/motor/etc. I will be fishing with 550-600 lbs. of people weight, give or take 50 lbs.

Please advise.......Anybody who has more input, please chime in...Thanks

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I have a Starcraft 1709 boat.

7_1.jpg

like this boat here. I dont know if mine is considered a boat that sits close to the water...Bowrider i believe. I dont ever fish in wind or high currents, very rare if i do. Minor lakes and resovoirs currents only.

I am confused about what model i need....Please help, i'd hate to buy the wrong one. By looking at this boat picture, you guys now exactly what i have and better understand my needs. The weight on this is 1350 lbs. acording to the KBB of boats.....not sure if this number is with or without the trailer/motor/etc. I will be fishing with 550-600 lbs. of people weight, give or take 50 lbs.

Please advise.......Anybody who has more input, please chime in...Thanks

That boat has a fairly large sail area. You could probably get by with a 55 and many folks will tell you a 55 is enough but you can certainly handle the weight of the 70 so rather than run out of umpf when you need it I would go ahead and get the 70 in 24v and run two type 27 batteries in series, that is, if you can afford it.

timalabim

Seaman

I have a Four Winns 170 horizon which is very similar in size/shape/weight to your boat. I previously had a 52# thrust Motor Guide which was PLENTY of power for this boat. My only issue was that I had a 48" shaft which allowed the motor to pop out of the water once in a while in a medium chop.
I opted for the 12V 55 PD V2 AP with the 54" shaft. My boat is docked without a nearby power supply so I have to pull the battery out to charge. Can't imagine having to do 2. So unless you trailer to power or have shore power at the dock, consider that before going to 24V. I did have to do a little engineering to mount on my bow, but I think it came out OK. (See my thread re bowrider adaptor)