terrifying first experience! first time boat owner!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: terrifying 1st exp - 4th update!

Where are the first 3 updates ??? I have no idea what led up to this :confused::confused:

crackedglass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You have far more restraint than I have!
But I'd have tossed the idiot out of there at the first sign of an attitude, and if he scraped up your trailer tearing out of your driveway, then he's liable for that as well. It sounds like a pretty messed up place to deal with. As a business owner, if you have a customer problem with a certain employee, and your trying to make it right, you certainly don't keep involving that same employee with that customer. After the incident, I'd be afraid of what that jerk might do to the boat between the your house and the dealer. He's certainly been reprimanded by the owner, or if not, their all in the same category there, maybe the salesman is a relative or something? I've worked in car and truck dealerships for over 25 years, when a customer complains about a salesman or tech, they rarely give that vehicle back to the same guy. There's just too much of a chance for the employee to try to get even for the complaint, or worse, the boss that reprimanded him. I've been the clean up guy in those situations all too often, having to be the one to deal with the wronged customer who is one step from a law suit and just looking for someone to nail with some wrong doing.

I also know what some sales people can be like, once they get their commission, their done with you. Most likely any repairs or adjustments to be made are coming out of his commission. As will any damage repairs.
I was out looking at new boats today, mind you I own 6 right now, I went to a rather new dealer nearby, a barely 20 something salesman comes out, asks me if I'm looking for a boat, and I bit my tongue and just asked if they sold any bare hulls, as I have a new motor.
The kid came right back and started a sales pitch on a $32K aluminum boat with a brand new motor and aluminum trailer. I stopped him mid pitch and repeated that I only want a bare hull, a wide flat bottom boat with a modified V bow. He then went right into how not buying a motor with the boat and having it installed there voids any and all warranty and how there was a mandatory $360 trailer fitting fee if the trailer didn't come from that dealer. My reply to that was fine, I'll take it home on a flat bed, no adjustments needed.
(Keep in mind that I know the owner of the this place, who was inside at the time, so just let this idiot go on and on). After the flat bed comment the kid goes inside, where I overhear him telling the manager there's some ******* out there who don't want a motor or trailer and don't want to pay any of the costs. He called me every name under the sun not realizing I had walked in the side door and was standing on the other side of the showroom. I slipped into the owners office, who also heard the comment made where all could hear. I let him go on and finish, while the manager kept it going coaching the sales kid how to push a boat sale, and if not, just get rid of me because "Customers like that are more trouble than their worth".
The look on that kids face when he and the manager was paged to the owners office and found me and the owner having a beer and joking about something was absolutely priceless. He, the owner, then did one better buy introducing me as their new manager, (Joking of course). I don't think I've ever seen two guys backpedal so hard as they did. I have half a mind to show up there 8 AM tomorrow just to see the look on their faces again. I'd be surprised if either are there a week from now.

I'd bet money on it you've got the same type of idiots your dealing with, only I'm not so sure the dealer sees what he has working for him. Chances are the salesman is making them money and if so, he's going to be there till he no longer brings in the bucks. Most salesman work on commission only, so if he's dealing with your boat and a prior sale, that takes away from his chances of making money right now. It's a bad situation for all involved.

I would be more upset about the guy's attitude at this point than with then not properly hitching up the boat in the first place. While they are certainly liable, it still was just as much your responsibility to make sure your rig was safe before leaving on the road. Blame who you will, the bottom line was you were driving. But that aside, it sounds to me like the dealer is passing the buck to the salesman hoping he's man enough to make it right, but by the sound of his attitude, that's not going to happen. In which case the dealer will toss the salesman under the bus and finally fix the situation when there's no other way out and he realizes that your not just going to go away.
It's my experience that most salesman work on about a 60% promise fulfillment rate, meaning that they do roughly 60% of what they say they will, and that percentage drops once they have your money. I'm not downing all salesman, but most I've met fall into this category.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a used outboard motor from a boat dealer last year. Contrary to the claims made by the dealer, the motor needed lots of work. Then it turned out that even the written warranty meant nothing and I ended up having to fix it myself.

After a fruitless argument with the dealer and suffering various verbal insults, I chose to walk away rather than take it to court. But I can't resist the temptation to tell anyone who will listen why they should not buy anything from that dealer.

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"Word of mouth" - Best advertisement going. Good or bad.
Surprises me how places in general will pay big bucks for radio, TV, mailing, newspaper advertising to get you in there,,, and then have punks like this turn you away.
Just doesn't make sense. Must just be today's society. :redface:

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
Re: terrifying first experience! first time boat owner!

I crank my tongue jack up a few inches to make sure the ball is secured ..if it lifts the tow vehicle up , the ball is locked in.Then I wind the jack down and stow it....cross your chains...it forms a basket in the event of an uncoupling.

Cranking it up after hooking it up is actually recommended in the Ranger Owners manual for Ranger Trail Trailers. Good tip there. ;)

alot of you boat bretheren have said it was my responsibility to have checked the hitch to make sure it was properly hooked up-and i fully agree -my plan all along was to take a boaters safety course before i ever got on the water - in hind sight i should have taken a boaters safety course before i ever hooked a boat trailer up! for this i accept full reponsibility! hind sight is 20/20 ! i implore any new boat owner to take a boaters safety course before even hooking up a boat for the first time and if possible take a friend who is an experienced boater along - please dont make the same mistake i made , someone could be seriously hurt or killed! today is tue and my 2nd day back to work after an 8 day absence due to my injury from the boat incident-everyone kept asking what happened and in explaining the story i ran into 2 coworkers whom both had someone in their family who was killed by a boat coming off a hitch or trailer! that scares the hell out of me! thats 2 people too many ! when my incident happened i was absolutely terrified in fact i cannot remember a time in my 43 years of life that i was so scared, not for me and my son but for the people behind me on the freeway it was still rush hour! i work in surgery and have been in the medical field all my life, ive seen first hand horrible medical trauma, i wouldnt have been able to live with myself if i had hurt or killed somebody! so to those of you who say i will be the safest person with a boat on the road and the water after this incident , i say you better believe it! ive already started investing in all kinds safety equipment for the boat and trailer , ive already typed up a boaters checklist to go over everytime (before)i get on the water, ive taken and passed a boaters safety course , ive have purchased boat insurance including a $500,000 worth damages and injury protection , ive read and have implemented all sound advice from all of you experienced boating bretheren (and i am grateful for the advice and support). it is my personal belief that the old addages passed on to me by my parents and grandparents still and always will hold true one of which fits my current situation ( better safe than sorry) even with all the worrying about when all of this will be over and all fixed- i count myself lucky that i walked away with a destroyed bumper and tailgate and injured finger! it could have been much worse! so im am open to any more suggestions and advice you might have - thanks again to all of you who have responded and as always i will keep you posted on any further developments.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

sailors hornpipe, you certainly got off lucky. You indicated that your finger was so badly hurt that you needed time off work. If you don't mind me asking, what line of work are you in that an injured finger necessitates time off work?

to northernmerc, i am a scrub nurse in surgery, i have to surgically scrub in before each case , policy states you cannot scrub in with an open wound on your hands or forearms as this could pose a risk of cross contamination from me to patient or from patient to me. the surgical gloves could have a microscopic hole or just some type of breach not seen by the naked eye and therin lies the problem. i wasnt in excruciating pain and by no means totally incapacitated as evidenced by the nice honey do list i was given daily ,but on one side of the cut it was almost to the bone. i recieved 7 stitches . i actually wanted to go back to work light duty per drs orders but by policy unless you hurt yourself at work they cannot accommodate light duty, so my only choice was to sit it out and let it heal. the attending doc wanted me to sit out this week too but i begged him to let me go back or else id a been remodeling my bathroom and building a second story on to my house neither of which i have the slightest clue how to do ,but since my wife loves to watch all those home improvement shows you know the ones where they show the one guy drive 3 screws into a piece of wood ,and just like that he has hung all new cabinets in his kitchen and it only took him an hour! at this explanation the doc laughed so hard he could hardly breathe and told me i wasnt the first injured man he had heard that from and agrred to send me back if i would baby and take excellent care of the wound which has now sealed but still healing. and couldnt fake being hurt enough to get out of honey do lists , wife is a resgitered nurse who also works in surgery , lol.

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

That certainly explains it. Glad to see that you're not a wimp. :D

TBarCYa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just skimmed thru the original thread and this one and didn't notice it mentioned but when I took the boater safety course in NJ, there was no discussion about trailering. In addition to the explanations you got here on the proper way to hook it up, you should also talk to anyone you know that has experience towing for a hands-on lesson on how to hook it up. You could even take it to a local trailer store and have them adjust the coupler and give it a once-over and ask them the proper way to set it up. It'll cost a couple bucks, but much less than repairing your truck if the trailer comes unhitched again.

TBarCYa, the texas boaters safety course i took had a whole section on trailering a boat and was very informative- as for getting some hands on training ,i have a friend who has 30 exp as a boat mechanic and avid boater and he is training me on the proper way to hook up and check trailer,but thanks for the advice. ps does anyone know how i can merge this thread with my original thread, i thought that by posting as a new thread it would be better visible on the menu page and it was but apparently has confused alot of people.

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NJ uses the America's Boating Course, offered by US Power Squadrons and the Coast Guard Auxiliary. The intention of this course is to educate boaters on boat operation, not trailer operation or driving skills. That would fall under basic driving skills and driver training. Trailer towing is covered to some degree in the NJ Driver's Manual. It does not cover boating or boat trailering but will cover the rules of the road and the use of safety equipment and required trailer equipment.

I think it may be hard for some of us here to imagine not knowing how to properly trailer a boat, but for those that just simply never have, its about the same as putting a bus driver in a plane cockpit and expecting him to fly a plane. Most of the regulars here also seem pretty well mechanically inclined, for those who are not, the simple things can be trying at best.
I've got a buddy that has a two masters degrees in engineering yet can't remember how to hook up a trailer or even put air in his car tires. He owns a boat which he trailers, and I can't count how many times he's either driven away and dropped the boat off the ball, which wasn't latched properly, or forgot the receiver pin, or connected the 4 pin wire connector wrong and blown the turn signal fuse. Backing up and launching is another story, he's jack knifed it a half dozen times, once so bad he did $1800 worth of damage to his truck, he twice backed in so far the truck stalled, and 7 times that I know of, backed in so far that the trailer went off the end of the ramp. He's left the plug out nearly every time. But ask him what 44,889 x 33 is and he'll rattle off the answer in seconds.

I'm not saying the OP is in this category, but there are those that just don't see how things work. Just the same, don't ask me what a scrub nurse does, I wouldn't do the job, I wouldn't want to work anywhere near a hospital or around sick people. It's just not my thing.

The best way to figure out what works is to do it, often the best way to learn is by repetition and experience, not being shown or told. After about 25 years of dealing with boats and trailers, and many people who are doing it for their first time, is to let them figure it out on their own.
I had a guy that bought a boat from me, he showed up here with a Suzuki Samurai thinking he was going to tow home a 21' boat. He even went out and bought a hitch for it. When I asked him if that was the only tow vehicle he had, he told me he had just gone out and bought it so he had something heavy duty to tow the boat he bought. In his mind, that tiny truck was heavier than the full size Ford van he drove before. The salesman told him so.

I pulled the boat and trailer out on the road, I let him hook it up. After about 20 minutes, he came back in asking what he was doing wrong, "The boat won't fit the truck". I walked out and he was trying to hammer the coupler down over the ball without opening the latch. I checked the ball size, luckily, and it was wrong, I gave him the right 2" ball, and loaned him a wrench to install it. About 15 minutes or more later, he was back, not being able to get the old ball off. I swapped the ball, I torqued and installed the cotter pin and let him hook up the trailer. After I saw he had the ball attached, and wiring in place, and had hooked the chains up, I walked away, only to watch him put the tongue jack back down, (after I had flipped it up). I told him that it had to be up to tow but there was no explaining why. He drove away with it down. He was back the next day to have me install a new jack. He wouldn't listen to me, but figured it out for himself that it had to be up on the road. He read that part on the box from the new jack.
The same guy has now bought 4 boats from me, he's gotten better at hooking up the trailer, but still can't drive or backup. He's crushed two boats, ripped off two wheels, bent 4 axles, and backed into his house and other car 7 times. The worst incident he had was backing down a boat ramp, and having one wheel of the trailer on the boat dock ramp, and subsequently backing down the ramp with half the trailer on the floating dock, thus dumping the boat and trailer on it's side. The boat, which didn't have it's plug, sank at the dock, which he didn't notice until the tried to move the boat over to right the trailer and realized it was sitting on the bottom on the ramp.
I've learned not to answer my cell phone on weekends after that one.
I'm not a dealer, I just buy and sell a few boats every year to pay for my hobby. I don't choose who buys a boat, and really can't consider myself responsible for teaching someone how to launch or trailer a boat. The majority is common sense, the rest is being able to learn and most people learn best on their own. Meaning most people only learn the hard way.

The best advice to the OP is to have someone show you how, the do it over and over again until it's second nature, both hooking it up, and driving with the trailer attached. The same for launching the boat and getting used to how far to back in or not to back into the water. Don't let the truck go swimming, don't trust anyone else to hook up the trailer, don't trust or assume that anyone else has done anything correct, even if they are capable, sooner or later you will regret it.

When you get it all fixed, take an hour or so and practice, till you can do it in without thinking about it. The same for launching the boat, go to the ramp on a slow day and figure it out and get it right, take notice to how far in the trailer is, how far the tires are submerged or where the water is on the fender. Make a note of what works and what don't till your confident that you can get that boat in and out of the water without having to think twice about what you need to do. Get into a routine of when to put the drain plug in as well. For me, it goes in the minute I hook the boat to the truck in the yard. When I get to the ramp all I need to do is unstrap the hull and flip up the seats and back in.

thanks for the advice you can be sure i will heed the advice well - i realize the mistakes i made in this situation and for which i take full reponsibility - though im not mechanic i do possess some basic skills due to doing it your self projects around the house and on my vehicles for the past 15 years - many on this blog have said that i made several mistakes and they are absolutely right 1. i should have taken a boaters safety course before i ever even hooked up a boat 2. i should have never let some one else hook up my boat as i will be the driver and ultimately responsible for any accidents or damages. and yes i have studied and hands on messed with the ball and hitch and practiced hooking up several times now-fond that its really not that hard and taeks only 5 mins or so to do properly and do the safety checks -

thought your comment was funny about not wanting to be a scrub nurse - alot of people are curious about what ascrub nurse actually does- the best and easiest way to describe it is whaen you are watching a medical show or movie concerning the operating room - some times you will see the person standing at what is called a mayo tray or stand and passing surgical instruments -or across from the doctor assisting at his direction- we are kind of ufo aliens - we dont see you until they bring you into the operating room and by that time you have pre anesthesia drugs on board and you wont remember seeing or talking to us- the drs and rns are memorable because they interact with the patient before and after the surgery.

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just simply prefer to stay out of hospitals, for too many reasons.
The last place I'd want to work is around people that are sick or contagious, and hopefully work or play doesn't put me there as well.
I try to live my life trying my darnedest to stay out of hospitals or the emergency room.

Its bad enough there's enough ways to get hurt, let alone relying on someone else to do it for you.

amen to that! the irony of my job is when someone gets sick or hurt they go to the hospital but when i get sick or hurt i have to go to where i work! :eek: lol!:D / the job is not for everyone definitely:cool: if you dont mind me asking what do you do for a living?

77Saturn620

Cadet

It's the responsibility of the driver to secure the trailer and make sure it's hooked up right. Dont blame the salesman. If you had never hauled a trailer before you should have brought an experienced freind. JMHO. :)

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The guys on here that said it was your responsibility to make sure it was hooked up properly are right but who would have thought that a salesman at a boat dealer wouldn?t do it right?
It seems like you are learning and learning fast!
I might have missed it but what did you cut your finger on?

Carusoswi

Seaman Apprentice

The moral of the story is that the best dealers take care of their customers, and if you buy from a less than best dealer, its up to you to learn.

Point is well made/taken. But, (and I'm guessing . . . no, you said it) you had some experience before purchasing from this dealer. How is a novice to distinguish between best/less than best?

Caruso