termostat/cooling at Johnson 90hp 1986

brezhniev1

Recruit
Hi everyone.
Need some help to figure out whats wrong with my outboard.
There was on overheating issue while i was on the water with a boat. After i have researched a little bit information, most of the tips bring me to a thermostat problem. So the things bring me there was because i can see the pee tail and water runs from it well, but its lightly warmer then the lake water was. After i have opened the the thermostat block in middle back part, i figure out that there were no termostats there at all.
i was a little bit confused to find it, but was even more confused after seeing that there is no water coming up to that thermostat block.
How can it be possible that i seeing water runs from peeing tale, but don't get to the the thermostat block to provide it further to cylinder heads?
i assume i need to take down a lower unit and check on impeller condition, but still isn't that strange that there is a water on a pee tail and no water in thermostat block?
i also removed the cylinder head, to check on the gaskets, it shows me super clogged and blocked cylinder head cover.
So i assume those need to be cleaned, thermostats should be placed where they apsent and, still need to check on the water impeller, right?

Attachments

• IMG_8147.jpg
    IMG_8147.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8146.jpg
    IMG_8146.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8145.jpg
    IMG_8145.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 4

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Hi everyone.
Need some help to figure out whats wrong with my outboard.
There was on overheating issue while i was on the water with a boat. After i have researched a little bit information, most of the tips bring me to a thermostat problem. So the things bring me there was because i can see the pee tail and water runs from it well, but its lightly warmer then the lake water was. After i have opened the the thermostat block in middle back part, i figure out that there were no termostats there at all.
i was a little bit confused to find it, but was even more confused after seeing that there is no water coming up to that thermostat block.
How can it be possible that i seeing water runs from peeing tale, but don't get to the the thermostat block to provide it further to cylinder heads?
i assume i need to take down a lower unit and check on impeller condition, but still isn't that strange that there is a water on a pee tail and no water in thermostat block?
i also removed the cylinder head, to check on the gaskets, it shows me super clogged and blocked cylinder head cover.
So i assume those need to be cleaned, thermostats should be placed where they apsent and, still need to check on the water impeller, right?
Pee stream or tell tail is independent of the cooling channels and just shows your pump is working. Thermos allow water into the cooling channels to cool the engine after it starts to warm up. If channels are blocked no cooling will happen. Someone tried fixing it and gave up or something.

brezhniev1

Recruit
Pee stream or tell tail is independent of the cooling channels and just shows your pump is working. Thermos allow water into the cooling channels to cool the engine after it starts to warm up. If channels are blocked no cooling will happen. Someone tried fixing it and gave up or something.
Thanks, I have noticed that peeing pipe line comes from engine block just a little bit higher than thermostat block located.
My confuse was that if that peeing pipe line runs than it may shows that impeller works good.
Thanks for help. Will work check on impeller and lines which feed thermostat block.