Temperature relation to carpet glue

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought outdoor carpet glue from Home Depot for my new carpet install project. (I don't want to use contact cement). The directions say to apply the glue when the temp is 65º or warmer. I was hoping to do it this weekend, but the temps will be in the mid to low 50s up here in Wisconsin. Can I get away with gluing in this temp range? Will it just take longer to dry or will I eno****er other problems as well?

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Temperature relation to carpet glue

I just installed some carpet in my boat using a similar glue. It too stated working temps (air and surface) of 65 or 70. I did the work when the temps were in the 50s. It took longer to cure than stated on the can, but it eventually cured. <br /><br />After you apply, you can try rolling the boat into the sun for a day. Even if the air temps are not warm, the sun will warm the carpet.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks! I did some checking with bassboatcarpets.com where I bought the carpet. And they pretty much said the same thing – should be okay, just takes longer to cure. BTW, how long did it take for everything to cure when you carpeted your boat??

Pun

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haha! Nice typo, dude.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not sure what you mean pun? Do have anything relative to post here?

Realgun

Commander

Pun is a colset trlol. <br /><br />The glue will take twice as long at 50 than at 70. Also if you are doing the sides you may want to wait a bit for the warmer weather. Carpet can slide down the sides.<br />Also a carpet guy told me that if you put the glue down and wait 10-15 munutes before setting the carpet it will be tackier and not move as much. At 70degrees 5-10 should do it.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

The temp is dropping... and dropping up here. It'll be in the 40's during the day and dropping down to the 30's overnight, so I'm going to have to wait for it to warm up considerably. Waiting for the glue to get tacky is a good tip. Thanks Realgun.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by BassCat73:<br /> Thanks! I did some checking with bassboatcarpets.com where I bought the carpet. And they pretty much said the same thing – should be okay, just takes longer to cure. BTW, how long did it take for everything to cure when you carpeted your boat??
I recall it taking a good 3 days to cure.

f_inscreenname

Commander

The thing to worry about is the grapping ability of the glue. If you are doing a flat deck you will be fine. If you have a lot of upholstery work (wall, boxes, consoles, etc) you will want it to be warmer so the glue will tack up. When you apply the carpet it should stick or the glue should grab it. Also watch how thick the teeth in the trowel are if doing it in the cold. It may seem you need more glue to make it hold because the glue doesn't tack up as well but if you put to much it will bleed through when the summer sun is beating down and it gets nice and hot. Last do not let it get wet before it cures or you will be sorry, very sorry.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just to be clear, I only carpeting my sole and I used a very thin layer of glue.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tips and help. I'm definitely waiting until it's at least close to 65º. Right now, it feels like the onset of winter here in WI. It's hard to believ that last weekend I was actually fishing in shorts and a t-shirt.