Temperature gauge for 1978 Thunderbolt 500

Good day, I just purchased a strap on temp gauge to use on my old 500. Where would the preferred location be to strap the sensor to the head?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Hoser, I do not think that motor has a thermostat. It will therefore run dead cold at idle and warm as the speed increases. What that means is that your temp gauge will likely show no reading most/all the time, and then an overheat, if the motor overheats.

A water pressure gauge is a better indicator of cooling.

To answer your Q... someplace high up on the cylinder head water jacket would be best, as #1 cylinder is most likely to overheat first.

Thank you. When I first test started this engine the water coming out of the tattle tale was too hot to handle. I admit it has cooled down now but all I want is some indicator that it a problem is occurring while running across a lake- I would then have a chance to shut down and remediate any problems.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I recommend you replace your waterpump impeller, wearplate and 2 gaskets before the next use. She should run cool at all times at idle. Inspect the waterpump cover and replace if she has scratches.