Tell me if my logic is flawed...

eeboater

Commander
I know this is sacrelige to ask this question on a BOAT site but I've been thinking.<br /><br />I may be cancelling my potential boat purchase to buy an RV.<br /><br />Here's my logic:<br /><br />I have always liked camping ever since I was a young lad. True, an RV isn't "camping" per se, but since Mrs. Eeboater has horrible allergies, the A/C at night when camping will make life much easier on her. <br /><br />In addition, we travel to Green Bay to visit our parents a lot. In the process we take our dog and what seems like 10 tons of other crap with us. The RV would accomodate that as well as provide us with a place to stay without inconveniencing the parents. <br /><br />I would like to visit my parents in Ohio a lot more, but it poses a problem with our 125 lb St. Bernard when my wife and I want to take a trip down there. This way, we can take Norman with us, and he can stay in the RV instead of messing my parents house.<br /><br />Lastly, after concluding our vacation in Alaska, where we drove an RV everywhere, I found that it is a FABULOUS way to travel. At any time you can pull over, have lunch... go to the bathroom... all while travelling in comfort that you don't experience when travelling via car.<br /><br />What do you guys think? Good idea or no? Also, does anyone in here own an RV? I grew up with 35-40' Class A motorhomes while my target RV is going to be the 21-23' Class C motorhome. Something that is much more suited for the two of us... For those who aren't clear on the classifications - the Class C motorhomes are the ones that have the bed over the van-like cab of the RV while a Class A motorhome is large and bus-like.<br /><br />Sean

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral
Re: Tell me if my logic is flawed...

I think it's a great idea. You can RV year round. Just head south in the winter.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

different strokes fer different folks :) <br /><br />as for me, i prefer to be boating and fishing, my wife on the other hand prefers to lounge by the pool and burn her tush in the sun :rolleyes: <br />that is something i ain't never gonna understand, so i just do what i do, it makes life a lot more practical from my perspective.

ehenry

Commander

I dont think you thinking is flawed. I think it'd be great to have an RV to travel in.<br /><br /> I do have a question though......why do you have to take the dog with you to visit yours or her parents? Can the dog not be boarded at your vet's? Dont get me wrong I have a dog love her to death, just read under my signature, but we dont take her with us when we visit other people and expect them to welcome it in to their home. Just a question.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Just get a hitch for the RV so you can tow your boat around. :D

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

The only "Flaw" in you logic is in not hooking a boat to your RV. Ya see RV+Boat+Lakeside camp site=outstanding vacations.....simple really.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I would do both, buy and RV, then buy a small used boat.<br /><br />Ken

eeboater

Commander

Hey ef -- yep, you're right. We're kinda weird when it comes to taking our dog. Yet any place we go with him, he is invited to come along by the people we are going to visit. We never impose our dog on people who don't want him - don't worry bout that. :D We're not that rude :D <br /><br />I just would find it easier to have him be able to lay down in the back, etc, when we travel. Plus, on vacations he can come with us rather than spending hundreds on kennelling.<br /><br />RF - you're right, going south is another perk for RV'ing. And I figure, if I can bring the hotel WITH me on vacation, its got to be cheaper in the long run, right?<br /><br />Sean

ehenry

Commander

I didnt think you were EE. I wish you'd have a talk with my SIL. She brings one with her when she comes. I told her next time it shows up in my house I was gonna make a hat out of it. Its a Chitzoo or HasaLapsa or something like that. All I know its a dadburn little barkin, climbin all over the furniture, under your feet, hairy faced, looks like its been chasin parked cars little vermin! It'd make an excellent snack for your St. B ! !

D

DJ

DR wrote:<br /><br />
Just get a hitch for the RV so you can tow your boat around
My thoughts-exactly. ;)

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I had a travel trailer for about 6 years. We used it almost every weekend. State Parks, out of state trips, etc. Kids loved it. Only reason I sold mine is I bought a house up at the lake across from my lot. Had I not bought the house, I'd still be staying in my TT up there!<br /><br />Lot's of great memories. only downside is not being able to tow the boat and travel trailer.....

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

"And I figure, if I can bring the hotel WITH me on vacation, its got to be cheaper in the long run, right?"<br /><br />Do the math. How long will you own it? New or used? Will you take out a loan for it? What kind of vacations do you plan on taking? How much would an alternative (hotel, etc.) cost? Will you have to rent out a camping location? Cost for fuel with the rv as oppossed to traveling with a different vehicle?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Okay, your logic is flawed.<br /><br />From my perspective.<br /><br />But my perspective ain't what matters is it.<br /><br />Launching the boat with the RV, that's gonna take some getting used to. I know it's done, I just never saw it done myself.<br /><br />And be careful with your St. B around those little dogs, a ****zu can kill a full grown St. Bernard. True, if it gets lodged in his throat, you better know the doggy heimlich or it's all she wrote!<br /><br />BTW, my dog loves to stay at the "Country Club" when we're away. Honestly, he's not that thrilled about leaving when I pick 'im up. Don't tell the dog, but it's not really a country club I just call it that.

eeboater

Commander

Our last vacation cost us $312 for Norm to stay at Doggy Daycare. He loved it -- 11 days playing with other dogs, etc. But I'm thinking if we start to have kids, its going to be more vacations at the local campground than Vegas, Boston, and Alaska.<br /><br />Sean

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

go for it....at least in TX, we have some wonderful state parks.<br /><br />the only gotcha is you have to use it. I see so many RV's that get purchased then never used. When I would go get mine out of storage, none of the trailers ever moved. I used mine almost every weekend. I have 5 dogs and 2 kids....and we went everywhere.<br /><br />the best part....when you're traveling...you got your own restroom. no more looking for a nice place!...now that my friend is worth it right there!

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

Insurance costs? Registration fees? Maintanance costs?

PW2

Commander

You can purchase a lot of motel rooms replete w/ AC for the money you would have tied up in that, incl maintenance insurance etc. Plus the extra money for fuel.<br /><br />Not saying not to do it, but I think the "saving money" part of your argument is suspect.

aspeck

Staff member

I got a class A motor home with a hitch - want to buy it? It could be for sale, since I never get to use it.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Friend of mine built a double-decker trailer for an RV-he can carry a small car on the bottom deck and a 14' ski boat on trailer on the top deck...

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Go for it EE, especially if you're planning to have kids. My boat, and I'm not a fisherman, sat for many years until my kids were old enough to go out boating. <br /><br />I wished I'da had a motorhome during that period. We would have gone, done and seen more things with the kids.<br /><br />Just keep your eye out for a good older used boat. Then you can have both. My boat had been long paid for so I didn't mind it sitting.