Teleflex or UFLEX Steering

Jeffm602

Seaman Apprentice
Hey all I am going to be updating my steering on my 74 15ft Glastron v156 with an 85hp motor.

I am trying to figure out what steering system to get.

I was first thinking about getting the teleflex nfb rotary steering but I am unable to get it locally unless I order it and the total system cost will be around $360. The I was looking at another local shop and they have the teleflex nfb but it's about $80 more than ordering from we st ma rine and picking it up at a local store.

They also had a uflex system that is $80 cheaper than the teleflex system and i was planning on getting that but i started looking at it more and it is "not" a no feedback system so then I looked at the uflex nfb system that the shop has and it's $30 more than the teleflex system but i can pick it up anytime, don't have to order and can install it over the weekend.

What are your guys thoughts? Has anyone used ulfex vs teleflex?
Most important do I need a no feedback system on an 85hp 15ft boat that will be used for fish and fam fun?

Please let me know what you all think.
:confused:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Teleflex or UFLEX Steering

104_7302.jpgGlastron.jpg102_0245.jpgLast Baltic mermaid Catching Bird Flu.jpg102_0250.jpg

Jeff: I have a 1971 V156. It is currently powered with a 120. It has had a 55, 75, 85, 105, and the current 120. It has the Teleflex steering WITHOUT no feedback. It steers well and does not have any undue pull on the steering wheel, did not with any of the engines. I suspect that with a boat this small and the engine size, NFB steering is not necessary.

Jeffm602

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Frank glad to know you didn't have any issues. Anyone else have any personally experiences or opinions on my issue?

YoungMind

Seaman

IMO, I have only had experience with Teleflex and love their products. But at the same time Uflex has been around a long time, and since their price isn't dirt cheap logic would say that they are good quality as well(my logic betrays me often). Definitely with that small of a boat though you will not need NFB and that will help you save some as well. :D

Last edited:

Jeffm602

Seaman Apprentice

YoungMind thanks for your input as well

82rude

Rear Admiral

i have a uflex system on my woody and its just fine and dandy.zero issues and smooth.whether i had my 90 or my new 60 etec on her did not make a diff atall.

Fed

Commander

I've never had a problem with FULL feedback steering but it was pointed out to me that NO feedback steering is very helpful if you're towing water toys around.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have a standard uflex system with a 140 and have no problems.

Jeffm602

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all for the input, I really do like the uflex systems. However I am going with the Teleflex that I am going to have to order. The only reason in doing so is the shop that I went to to buy the Uflex the owner was a complete ahole.

The owner has a website which he displays his products when I got to the shop to purchase the steering system and all necessary parts he was like yep have all of that in stock... I brought along the print out of the parts and prices and I was mentioning how the teleflex was more expensive at another shop and could only order it online. Then he mentioned the price for the Uflex system which was way more than just ordering the Teleflex system and was like $250??? it says online that you have it for $153.63 and I showed him the print out and he was like oh that's the online price.

I was like "oh wow that sucks" and asked him if I could order for that price and just pick it up at the store. He was like no you just order and send to your house. I then asked him who owned the website thinking his webpage was a storefront through another company and was able to get the parts cheaper. He then said no I own and run the website. I then said ok well I can't get it then. So the owner of the shop wouldn't honor his own online prices that he set up on the website. So that shop lost about $350 worth of product I was going to buy just because he wouldn't honor his own prices. Some people have no idea how to run a business.

Sorry for the rant just venting.