komodo_goods
Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter- Joined
- Dec 31, 2023
- Messages
- 34
Good evening,
I recently replaced my starboard trim sending unit with a sierra unit and cannot get the gauge dialed in. Symptoms are that gauge is pegged up with key off engine off and key on, engine off. This seems normal for this gauge as I verified other internet pictures show the same.
When turning the sending unit (it was indexed correctly) the gauge will peg to full down with no in-between sweeping.
I have bench tested the gauge in following configurations with 12vdc applied to I - G
1. Jumper from S - G = full down on gauge
2. 450 ohm resistor between S - G = 1/2 on gauge
3. 910 ohm resistor between S - G = almost full up on gauge.
The sending unit only has between 0-50 ohms within its full range of motion.
So my question is what is the incorrect or defective part? Is the sending unit supposed to be 0-1k resistance or has the gauge faulted internally and should function fully on a 0-50 ohm sender?
This is on a 1998 chapparral sunesta with an alpha 1 gen 2 outdrve.
Any assistance would be appreciated. I was only able to find one other post that referenced the sending unit as having 0 -150 ohms and nothing on the gauge.
I recently replaced my starboard trim sending unit with a sierra unit and cannot get the gauge dialed in. Symptoms are that gauge is pegged up with key off engine off and key on, engine off. This seems normal for this gauge as I verified other internet pictures show the same.
When turning the sending unit (it was indexed correctly) the gauge will peg to full down with no in-between sweeping.
I have bench tested the gauge in following configurations with 12vdc applied to I - G
1. Jumper from S - G = full down on gauge
2. 450 ohm resistor between S - G = 1/2 on gauge
3. 910 ohm resistor between S - G = almost full up on gauge.
The sending unit only has between 0-50 ohms within its full range of motion.
So my question is what is the incorrect or defective part? Is the sending unit supposed to be 0-1k resistance or has the gauge faulted internally and should function fully on a 0-50 ohm sender?
This is on a 1998 chapparral sunesta with an alpha 1 gen 2 outdrve.
Any assistance would be appreciated. I was only able to find one other post that referenced the sending unit as having 0 -150 ohms and nothing on the gauge.