Teenage Destruction

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Some of you may recall last December, my 17 yr old son tore out the transmission in my Honda Accord. He finally admitted running the crap out of it and doing neutral drops.<br /><br />Well I finally got a motor and tranny for a couple of hundred bucks. I spent the last couple of weeks putting it in. What a pain on the knuckles. Tranny works fine, however I noticed that the temp guage didn't seem to be working. Found out there wasn't one bit of antifreeze in the engine.<br /><br />So I let it cool down, started it up and added some water. It finally got up to temp on the guage in its normal operating zone. Looked underneath and no leaks. Noticed some water coming out the tail pipe :( . Shut down the engine and checked the oil. OH NO! Light brown slimey gunk.... friggen water in the oil :( <br /><br />At least I have another motor to put in it, but I got BOAT work to do. :mad: <br /><br />I just can't believe 3 cars, 3 trannies, and 2 engines. Just bad luck or stupidity? I think he could destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet.<br /><br />DOH! :eek: DOH! :eek: DOH! :eek:

crab bait

Captain
Re: Teenage Destruction

well,,there's only one thing to do...<br />put your boat aside an get his car in good operational shape...no matter how long it takes..or how much it cost..

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Crab Bait, His license was suspended til he is 18. I'm done helping him until he learns on his own to appreaciate what he has and gets. He has got to the point of hating me and blames his bad decesions on me. To him, all this stuff that has happened to him is my fault. NOT! I didn't tell him to run off with a 13 year old girl, I didn't tell him to smoke pot, I didn't tell him to lie, and I didn't tell him school was unimportant.<br /><br />I'm going fishing, and then I'll get the boat ready tomorrow. (If I'm not changing out and engine) :D

gonfishn

Commander

Sounds Like you need to do a little fishn with all you have been through SS..Musky Tourney next weekend at Clear Fork..Afraid I have to work Sat. but am going up Sunday to fish with the guys in a nontourney status..Get a chance stop down and say hi..Can't miss me..Probably only one with a Musky mural on side of boat :D

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Originally posted by SLOOPY:<br />ahh... Schadenfreude
Malicious pleasure. To derive enjoyment from another's misfortune.<br />SS. you doing this? :eek:

ezbtr

Commander

Have HIM pay for and INSTALL motor. Youve givin him plenty. They all got to learn, some learn harder. Let him WALK til HE fixes car, then maybe he can learn the value of work and paying for his goof ups.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I'm with Heinz, let him figure it out. You provided the vehicle, he destroyed it, its time for him to fix it and learn, or ride a bike. People give their kids too much these days anyways, they have no sense of responsibility whatsoever. If it were me, his arse would be out there with a manual swapping that engine while I was fishin'. Good luck....

SpinnerBait_Nut

I have to go along with Heinz and Jason.<br /><br />Kids nowadays have no respect for adults or the value of a dollar.<br />Maybe if they had to work for everything they get/have, they would think different when it came time to power braking and clutch dropping.<br /><br />Maybe then they would also learn about respect.

sloopy

Commander

What is power braking and clutch dropping?? And No I will not do it ;)

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by SLOOPY:<br />What is power braking and clutch dropping?? And No I will not do it ;)
Hold your foot on the brake at the same time you mash the gas to make the wheels spin and on the dropping the clutch, push clutch in and mash gas and then side step the clutch to where it also makes the wheels spin.<br /><br />Both bad on car. :(

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

I cured my son from that when I quit picking up the wrenches. I would advise him, tell him what needed done, but no matter how mad and frustrated he got, I would not touch a wrench. Most times, I wouldn't even go in the vicinity of the car. He would have to find me, ask me, and explain what he wanted to know to my satisfaction.. He is now capable of changing brakes, water pumps, and his last breakdown, he learned to do a timing belt. He treats his car with much more care now that he does the wrenching, plus he is learning to think and repair for himself.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Yea BiXLL, that's the way it needs to be.<br />I have 3 grown daughters and each can if need be, change tires, oil, do brakes because I taught them as they were growing up cause I did not know if they would find a man that could do this stuff or not.<br /><br />It don't hurt them any to do this stuff.

BiXLL

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hear ya SBN, I did the same with my step daughter. I told her it was so she didn't NEED a man around. But go ahead an bat the eyes if one is there! :rolleyes:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

It sure was a beautiful day today. Did some fishn, pretty good catch but didn't keep any. Than the older kids come over with the grandkids. One son-in-law brought be a side by side fridge. The thing is like brand new. Changed out the compressor and now I got a new fridge.<br /><br />The car, I'm taking it over. I need something to run back and forth to the lake in. My diesel just drinks too much fuel, so the little car will be easy on gas. Carl just isn't going to get anything from me and he knows it. <br /><br />I decided I'm going to change the oil and run it til it blows up, then I'll put the other motor in. Hopefully I will have good luck and the engine that is in it now will last. :D

JoeW

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My son won't be old enough to drive for another 6 months, but his aunt and uncle went ahead and gave him their old Nissan Pathfinder for when he does get his license. I had him out last weekend changing the brakes. ;)

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

When I was 15 my dad bought me a 1981 honda accord with a blown motor.<br />He told me that If I could get it running it was mine. <br />I bought a rebuild kit for it with the money I saved working at the local gas station. I rebuilt the motor under his supervision. I then payed the money to get it smogged and registered in my name.<br />Then came the money for drivers training and insurance. <br />So now I am almost broke but I have a nice little car that will last a long time. and he tells me<br />You like your car? I say "yes", and he says "good now if you want to drive it I want to see a 3.25 grade point average"! <br />That was 15 years ago and I thank him for that to this day.

Skinnywater

Commander

I remember when I was 13 my dad brought home a rail dune buggy for me to play in our orange grove with. He owned an auto repair shop and built it for me.<br /><br />In addition to the parental safety rules and limitations, he gave a worthy declaration.<br />"Son, anything you break, destroy or bend on this buggy, you will have to fix. I'll stand over your shoulder and help, but you will twist the wrenches." <br />Well, I broke, destroyed and bent it alot. This essentially launch an entire lifelong career......thanks dad.<br /><br />I've raised three girls to driving age. Throughout the experience I've told them my rules.<br />I will buy each of them thier first car. The value of the car will reflect their individual grades and conduct in school.<br />I.E. No car if they didn't graduate. A piece of junk if they did poorly. An average one, if they do average. A beautiful nice one, if they do well.<br />It doesn't stop here.<br />I'll buy them the car, but they have to support it.<br />The gas, the insurance and maintenence. And, if you don't have a job, you don't need a car! <br />All my daughtersare well employed and have nice cars. I help them out every now and then with repairs. All three of them know how to change oil and do thier own brakes. <br /><br />SS, Carl would have to get real interested in that Honda way before I would..... ;)