Tech cdi solution?

I traded a guy for a seaco 9.9 that had the trigger magnet let go at WOT. well the cdi's were smashed beyond. so i took them out compleatley and kept the charge coils in place. I welded tabs on the stator to accept the new omc triggers. I then took the triggers and modified them to fit in place on the stator. this was done with a benchtop bandsaw and a craftsman disc sander. so if you are handy it souldnt be too difficult. got the omc cdi module from a 82 johnson 20 hp as too the coils..found a wiring diagram at the cdi web site. made some brackets and mounted the omc cdi and coils to the out of the block. i"ll change out the old kill switch for a teathered one when i put it in the outboard body.

Any takers wheather it works or not. untested . barrel is froze solid for another month or so. have to wait till then i guess.

i"ll try anything once or twice.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Tech cdi solution?

oops the attachment didnt go i'll try again

Images upload to iboats are not working due to maintenance, (see the yellow bar at the top of the page)

You can use places like photobucket.com to post pictures. They will work.

M

mrcrabs

So which side are the OMC triggers pointing at? If you have no trigger sleeve you must be depending on the flywheey magnets for triggering? what about timing advance and plug heat range, would you start with a colder plug......??? you might have to do some machining on the armiture to get more or less advance adjustment.

I got my money bet on you Todd:)

mrcrabs I have replaced the magnet in the trigger sleeve and will still use it. so triggers point in towards the sleeve still. so timing will remain the same. thanks for the confidence. i'll try that site and get back to you all.

M

mrcrabs

I was hoping you had got out of use of the trigger sleeve and could find away to trigger like the singles...but then thats where the advance problem would come in, I bought a old 9.9 that had been worked on and givin up on 20yrs ago....it had a brand new trigger sleeve in it so I bought a new CDI unit for my 15hp. :D I'm going to use the 9.9 just for testing my repaired SSI's