Tear out Almost complete (pics)

Paulinct

Cadet
Hi everyone I have only posted a few times but I have done quite a bit of reading :) . There is so much info here. I wanted to post my project so I can get some pointers and hopefully it will help others.<br /><br />I have a 1989 21'Larson Senza (cuddy with a 5.7 I/O) I had a soft area in the floor that I wanted to fix. So I took out all the seating and the engine cover. I pulled up the carpet and started cutting out the plywood (which wasnt glassed or resin coated). Of course I found more rot than I had hoped for :) . So I drained/removed the gas tank. I found that the stringer next to the gas tank (port side) was rotted. I cut it down to where it is solid again. I think I am going to cut it down to the hull and replace it (3/4 inch plywood). Then fiberglass over it. Then redo the floor (1/2 inch plywood). <br /><br />After reading posts on this board, I plan to dry fit the floor then take it out and resin coated the plywood. I have a couple of questions <br />1) Does that sound about right??? :) <br />2) Should I glass the entire floor or just along the exterior (like it was before)<br /> <br />I am going to try to attach the pics. <br />If not here is a link to the album boat pics

Paulinct

Cadet
Re: Tear out Almost complete (pics)

:mad: :mad: I guess the pics didnt work :confused: :) <br /><br />Pics below (scroll down) :)

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Paul... Sometimes yahoo works but more often they do not as they have to many strange charecters in them. I swithched to www.myfishingpictures.com and have found they allow many pics. There site goes down ocasinally but have been easy to work with, There is other options also if you look. You are limited to seven pics per post (not thread) and this count includes Smilies. Hope this helps. Others who are more expierenced will be along shortly to help with your ???'s.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Paul:<br />How was the floor sealed to the inside of the hull. I'm facing the same issues on my 28 y/o boat. And as my boat has never had standing water in it, I speculate that wash/rinse water did an end run around the edges of my floor to get under it.

Paulinct

Cadet

Boomyal,<br />The deck of the boat is glassed to the side. The glass comes off the bulkhead and onto the deck plywood about 6-8 inches. My fuel tank was in the center and that had a seperate piece of plywood (decking). That joint was not sealed at all. Therefore any water that got in the boat could drain down on top of the stringer. The foam in my boat was not saturated so I know it was not leaking around the edge. Just in the fuel tank well...which can drain out to the bildge

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

I suggest a visit to rotdoctor and read up on CPES. IMO resin coat of ply is not good enough. the doc's precess is to treat new, as well as old wood w/cpes b4 glassing for perminant rot protection.<br />Myself, after reading pros and cons of epoxy vs poly resin, I'm using epoxy on my Slickcraft project. Am getting glass and epoxy from uscomposits , they have sewm glass matt specialy for epoxy. Their epoxy prices are the best I've found ans ship UPS ground from FL.<br />Keep us posted (hope I'm not outta line posting these links)

Paulinct

Cadet

Try #2 with the pics <br />
005735.jpg
<br />
005734.jpg
<br />
005738.jpg
<br />
005737.jpg
<br />
005736.jpg

Paulinct

Cadet

Woo Hoo! Used fishingworks and had no problem with the pics. thanks for thr tip Neumans :)

Paulinct

Cadet

I was just out messing with the boat. The outer stringer is a couple of inches think and is in good shape. There are only a few spot spots and I think Git rot will take care of that. <br /><br />However that made me wonder how "structural" the inner stringer is (next to fuel tank well). It was only 3/4 inch plywood that is glassed halfway up from the hull. Is it just something to mount the gas tank to?<br />Should I cut it off completely and cut a new piece of plywood? (glass it to the hull) :confused: <br />Should I try to core out the rest of it and pour in some seacast? I would have to make a mold or something for the upper half ?(no glass there now) <br />I am kind of at a standstill with this part of the project until I figure it out. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks<br /><br />Pat thanks for the links

Kenbo

Seaman

Hey Paul, I'm in CT too. I would recommend that you glass over the new wood you put in. Whatever is left exposed is subject to water exposure and ultimately rot. If you use the git-rot on the existing wood, you may be stuck with having to use epoxy resin. I think the Git-Rot uses an epoxy base, and you can't use polyester resin over epoxy. I don't know where in CT you are, but Defenders in Waterford has a lot of stuff, and LBI in Groton is an excellent source for supplies locally. They also have a good website. I used to build boats for a living and yours looks like a relatively easy fix. Good Luck!! :)

kawasaki1000

Recruit

Paul,<br /><br />Yes you should seal the complete bottom and use exterior grade plywood. Don't forget to run a full bead of caulking.