Teach Your Children Well..........Please

ehenry

Commander
A tradic accident happened yesterday on an area lake just outside Canton. Four Teenagers, 2guys and 2 girls in a bow rider I/O ski boat, were riding and skiing on Lake Caroline. The two young ladies were riding in the bow of the boat, apparently standing up while underway on plane, when the boat hit the wake of another boat which caused the two girl for fall over the bow of the boat. One young lady lost part of her leg and the search continues today for the other girl. The two boys were uninjured and were removed from the scene. The sherriff says no charges will be filed.<br /><br />Yall, PLEASE....talk to your kids try to make them use common sense.<br /><br /> Article on Accident

D

DJ

Re: Teach Your Children Well..........Please

Aaagh. Common sense. It may be a lost art.<br /><br />But, you can bet, I will. <br /><br />My oldest son just bought his first boat. A 12 footer (in nice shape) with an ancient (1956) Bucaneer outboard.<br /><br />I'm in the market for a nice 8 or 9.9 HP.<br /><br />He's run plenty of skiffs before, no worries here.

LadyFish

Admiral

That's a crying shame ef. I feel for the families and friends of these gals. The driver of the boat has the horrible guilt that he'll no doubt deal with for the rest of his life. All it would have taken was for him to tell his passengers that the boat dosen't move until everyone is seated safely.<br /><br />It's not just kids that are stupid on the water. I see adults doing some absolutely stupid things all the time. Riding on the bow or letting their kids ride there, is THE one stupid mistake that I become enraged over. Its very, very sad. :(

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

I live on a dirt road. My in-laws live off the paved road 1/4 mile from the dirt road to my house. We go swimming there a bunch and the kids ride in the back of the truck.<br /><br />Once we hit the dirt road, my oldest boy (10) and only daughter (6) will "surf" by standing in the middle of the truck bed. I'll drive real smooth at about 15 mph. Every once in a while I'll brake slightly making them lean forward. They giggle as they almost lose their balance. Then sometimes I'll gun it making them lean back almost losing their balance.<br /><br />It's fun. It's safe. <br /><br />When my kids are in the boat and it is running, it is "lifejackets on". In the summer, they can take off their lifejacket when the boat is anchored or I am just trolling. They never argue to put them back on when we crank up and move. If they do, they keep it on the entire time.<br /><br />Let kids enjoy life, but don't take unnecessary risks.

ehenry

Commander

No comment on you letting your kids 10 and 6 stand up in the back of your truck while driving down the road.

D

DJ

James wrote: <br /><br />
Let kids enjoy life, but don't take unnecessary risks.<br />
I could not agree more. Ditto. <br />It's the PARENTS job to see that they are safe. Not, the legal system.

D

DJ

James wrote: <br /><br />
Let kids enjoy life, but don't take unnecessary risks.<br />
I could not agree more. Ditto. <br /><br /> <br />It's the PARENTS job to see that they are (reasonably) safe. Not, the legal system.<br /><br />There is a RISK factor in all of life. That's how we learn.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the post DJ. A tragic reminder for all of us at the beginning of the season. Stuff can happen really fast and although we all are out to have a little fun, we must keep our guards up. What a shame . . . :(

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I wish there was some way to "teach" younguns that they are not immortal. That is what is needed, and it is a lesson that too often comes from personal experience.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

You cant save everybody and still have fun. Stuff happens. I know I did plenty of stupid stuff when I was a kid. I know my parents let me do dangerous stuff when I was a kid.<br /><br />Sounds like they were going too fast over a wave.<br /><br />Ken

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> No comment on you letting your kids 10 and 6 stand up in the back of your truck while driving down the road.
I understand, but keep in mind the following:<br />15mph, dirt road, no traffic. It's hard to paint a safe picture, but it really is harmless under those parameters.

ehenry

Commander

To own their each. Hope you got good insurance when one of them goes out the back of the truck when you, as you said, speed up to make them get off balance and hit the gravel road without a helment and full set of leathers one to protect them from the gravel rash that they'ed get. <br /><br />
Every once in a while I'll brake slightly making them lean forward. They giggle as they almost lose their balance. Then sometimes I'll gun it making them lean back almost losing their balance.<br />
No way in this world would I let my child Especially a 6 or 10 year old do something like that while I was driving the truck.

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by JB:<br /> I wish there was some way to "teach" younguns that they are not immortal. That is what is needed, and it is a lesson that too often comes from personal experience.
I agree completely! I took a parenting class that taught us to allow kids to have "teachable moments". Those moments are slightly "painful" experiences but are not life-damaging. As a parent, you have to use your best judgement when allowing your kids to learn from their mistakes.<br /><br />Example of teachable moment:<br />- don't pick on the cat, it might scratch you. <br /><br />Examples of moments too dangerous to let your child experience first-hand:<br />- don't pick on the cottonmouth, it might bite you.<br /><br />Life, in general, is dangerous. If we are not to take any chances we should all sell our boats and cars and hide out in our homes with the blinds drawn shut. We should also wear padded clothes in case we fall down.<br /><br />Life, it is worth living!

Twidget

Commander

That is really sad to hear. Unfortunately, its not restricted to kids. <br /><br />A few years ago, at an area lake, there was a woman trying to do the Titanic bow rail scene. Something happened, she went over the bow, the boat went over her.

Realgun

Commander

And I though I was bad letting the kids ride on the tailgate on the dirt road at 10 Mph. :D <br /><br />Mine are 10 and 9.

one more cast

Captain

Its sad but kids are going to be kids and its all fun til someone gets hurt or killed. Go back and read the past posts about the stupid stuff WE did when we were young.(and old)

ehenry

Commander

OMC, its a thousand wonders that i'm even walking around today because of all the crazy and down right stupid things we did on the river. Its amazing that most of us are still here.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

James, I too say good for you for letting kids be kids once in a while. Way, way too many are so protected from that these days that they grow up lacking any common sense at all and don't even realize once they're grown that THEY are the ones responsible for themselves and family. <br /><br />Me....I have fond memories of riding in the front end loader of the farm tractors with my brothers when I was little. The higher in the air the better for us! In the backs of pickups all the time too. Riding bikes without helmets, elbow pads and knee pads. And guess what? When I whiped out and skinned a knee or elbow...THAT taught me to slow down! Plus, without the knee/elbow pads...I couldn't go and sue the pad manufacturer because they didn't protect me from myself! :p

ehenry

Commander

The search for this young lady has been call off. The sherriffs dept and MDWFP have decided to let her come up naturally. <br /><br />Please say a prayer for her family. Her daddy hasn't left the lake bank since she went missing.