tdohatsu went under water 9.8 2013

rocket rich

Petty Officer 1st Class
help what do i do now LONG STORY BUT IT WENT UNDER WATER WHAT DO I DO. ROCKET RICH

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Go to Tohatsu.com and get the owners manual for your motor, then follow the instructions for Motor Submerged In Water. Don't wait to long to get started.

Hope the water was fresh.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is not mentioned, should take to dealer and hope for a big bill. You should remoive carb and clean fully the inside, remove plugs, squirt some shots of 50:1 fuel/oil mixture inside chambers, pull rope several times, hope that engine isn't already seized. That procedure should be done immediately OB was submerged and rescued.

Check if OB will start back again, if so run a full gallon of 25:1 mix to lube properly all rotaing components inside powerhead.

Happy Boating

rocket rich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey , Ole buddy, sorry I haven't been online for awhile, surgery and broken ribs, spinal steneois, rehab, and now can't stand up for very long and can't walk 60 yards. That's sucess???? got my boat set up now and maybe I can fish.. It's not easy these golden years. HAHA

rocket rich

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks a bunch, I found a shop near me that will service it for me. They done my work for 15 years so I'm happy? They don't sell motors and don't service but Johnson and Rude.... it's a favor for me.

pvanv

Admiral
Rich,

It's important to work on it right away... the sooner the better.

I hope it wasn't running when it went in. If it was running when submerged, it may have a bent/broken connecting rod or other bad problems.

Assuming it was not running... The big thing is to get all the water out as soon as possible. Your shop should change the oil, pull plugs and add some oil to each cylinder, then cycle the motor by hand a few times. Drain the carb, and get everything dried out. Once all dry, they can reinstall plugs and try to start it. It will likely need a couple of oil changes to get all the moisture out of the crankcase.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Hi RR,

Nice to hear from you, get better soon to keep enjoying boating. Just for the record, how did OB ended being submerged ?

Luckily OB was submerged on non salty waters, much friendly to recuperate. Salty waters destroys almost everthing inside powerhead if not taken care immdediately after falling, that's very bad music.

Happy Boating

rocket rich

Petty Officer 1st Class
i DRAINED THE OIL QUICKLY.GOT IT TO A REPAIR SHOP ASAP. i CAN'T DO MUCH FOR MY SELF. JUST GETTING OLD 75 AND COUNTING.. YOU GUYS HAVE ALWAYS TREATED ME GOOD. LAST YEAR WAS A HELL OF A DEAL. TOO MUCH SURGERY AND RUINING ME AS I HAVE NO FEELING IN MY FEET OR MY LEGS BELOW THE KNEES.FINGERS ARE BAD TOO.OH WELL JUST A BUMP IN THE ROAD. i'LL GET FISHING SOON . FISHIN TODAY FOR 1 1/2 HOURS . DID OKAY BYE

rocket rich

Petty Officer 1st Class
CAN'T FIND IT ??? BUT IT'S FINISHED , THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP. GOT IT BACK TODAY AND TOOK IT FOR A SHAKE DOWN.I WENT AHEAD AND CHANGED THE PLUGS, 2.49 FOR EA CH PLUG TOO CHEAP. $139. TO DRY IT OUT. NOT BAD ON SS??