tc-w3 oil in my snowblower

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
got my 14yr old son to blow the drive yesterday<br />and he mixed my OB tc-w3 oil with the gas by mistake. :rolleyes: <br />it ran ok, but sure smoked a lot. should I drain,<br />or can I run it through???<br />if'n you want somethin done right....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: tc-w3 oil in my snowblower

Howdy, MY.<br /><br />I doubt that one tank would do any harm, except perhaps to your neighbors' attitudes.<br /><br />After it is all burned you might do a decarb on it.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

thanks JB :) will take your advice.<br />only good thing is it's a small tank...<br />stuff does stink pretty bad.

sloopy

Commander

WOWOWOW!!! back up a bit... I use tcw3 on non outboard equipment all the time.. Are you telling me this is a bad thing? I have not had any problems so far?

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sloopy, TCW3 should only be used with water cooled 2 stroke engines, ie outboard motors. Air cooled motors run much hotter and require a very different type of oil. You are probably doing damage to your motors if they are air-cooled and you're using TCW3.<br /><br />Refer to the following thread;<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000090

D

DJ

Ditto, 62_Kiwi. The "W" stands for "water cooled".<br /><br />Granted, in a snowblower (man am I glad I don't have to mess with those anymore), the temp. might not be an issue.<br /><br />However, non TC-W oils have a very low ash content. Not so for air cooled engine oils. I'm no expert on oil chemistry, but I do know that ash content is important in air cooled 2-strokes.

masterp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know this may sound stupid. But does the snow blower have a two cycle or four cycle engine? My father just pruchased a two cycle Toro 6.5 HP snowblower. Nice little unit!