Tax Question

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I was wondering if there is any way to find out about W-2's?<br />My son-in-law was in the Marines and he has not got his W-2 from there.<br />He called them and ask them about it and they told him they were mailed out on the 15th.<br />Can a person retrieve them on the irs site anyway?

BassMan283

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tax Question

Nope. Have to get them from the employer. Payroll ought to be able to print him a new one.<br /><br />Mine didn't show (or I lost it?) a couple of years ago and HR was able to print one off for me.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

very last paystub should have totals required to<br />file, not sure what military stubs look like<br />these days though.<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

not if it's accurate. as long as what you report<br />matches what employer reports, paperwork (W2) is not<br />so important.

SpinnerBait_Nut

I was going to file it online so that is about all I need is the ending yera to date totals I guess.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

right SBN, assume they're correct, but a note<br />telling them you're using the stub cuz u got no<br />W2 would be good 2.<br />thank him for serving 4 all of us 2 :) <br />best regards,<br />M.Y.

SpinnerBait_Nut

I just wonder what branch of the government he should contact about this?<br />IRS, or treasury department or what.<br />I wonder where they mail them from.<br />Marine HQ or where?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

If I remember right, the Navy's Disbursing Department takes care of the payroll for the Marines. At least that was back in the 70's.

clanton

Rear Admiral

The place where you were discharged and issued a DD214 (if still in use) should have taken care of the W2, and should be able to give you phone number for issue of dup W2 if orignal lost.

BassMan283

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you file online, you will need to enter the employer's tax ID number, which probably isn't on the pay stub, and the Control Number from the W-2, which definitely isn't.<br /><br />The easiest and certainly quickest way to handle it is for him to call back to whoever told him it had already been mailed and request a duplicate.<br /><br />If you read the link I posted above, you will see that filing a return without the W-2 will waste many weeks of your time.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Thanks mattttt25, thats what I needed to know.<br />They will not know anything till after the 31st. so I will have to wait till then.