Tasered by Utah Highway Patrol

1730V

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tasered by Utah Highway Patrol

Bait cars? OK with me. Just brings then dirt bags out for everyone to see.

45Auto

Commander

There?s a difference between job critiquing by people QUALIFIED to critique and comments from people who do not know what is going on (as is the case with many of the posts here).

From Drowned Rat:
Maybe it's a training problem, but the Taser is an alternate to deadly force and shouldn't be used to compel compliance like was demonstrated here.

Statements like this demonstrate that the poster has very little knowledge of the force continuum (probably doesn?t know what it is) and no practical knowledge of law enforcement.

NO jurisdiction I?m aware of considers a Taser an alternative to deadly force. Probably a good thread for discussion somewhere else on what deadly force is and when it?s appropriate to use it.

In every profession someone is the best and someone is the worst. Hopefully some of the better ones are in a position to review this case (and undoubtedly will due to the visibility) and make a qualified decision on the officer?s actions.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

What's the problem here? The punk kid got lippy with a cop and the cop zapped him. Sounds very fair to me......

Chris........

Drowned Rat

Captain

There?s a difference between job critiquing by people QUALIFIED to critique and comments from people who do not know what is going on (as is the case with many of the posts here).

From Drowned Rat:

Statements like this demonstrate that the poster has very little knowledge of the force continuum (probably doesn?t know what it is) and no practical knowledge of law enforcement.

NO jurisdiction I?m aware of considers a Taser an alternative to deadly force. Probably a good thread for discussion somewhere else on what deadly force is and when it?s appropriate to use it.

In every profession someone is the best and someone is the worst. Hopefully some of the better ones are in a position to review this case (and undoubtedly will due to the visibility) and make a qualified decision on the officer?s actions.

I'm quite familiar with the "force continuum" but thanks for the reality check anyway.

If the Taser isn't an alternative to deadly force then what is it? I didn't say it was equal in it's value, rather an alternative to shooting someone with a gun. Anyway, another discussion like you said.

Here's the thing. Why argue the point that getting tazed is better than taking a 9mm slug in the chest so this guy should feel lucky? That sentence implies that if the Taser were not available, a gun should have been used or its use warranted. In this case, it would appear from the Youtube video (<<<disclaimer), that deadly force wasn't indicated.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

OK, here's an exercise: Watch this:"http://www.watchlocalvideos.com/watch-273904.htm". Now, what was different? Did the officer attempt to handcuff the guy? Was he not trying to do the exact same thing as the officer in the taser video? Did the passenger get out of the vehicle just like the taser guy's wife? Would those of you who feel that the taser was unnecessary think the same of this video? Or are we just operating on 20/20 hindsight...it's easy to analyze and critique decision makers, but it's far more difficult to be one...

45Auto

Commander

Maybe we're getting confused on semantics. The definition of "alternate" I'm using is "different from and serving, or able to serve, as a substitute for something else".

The definition and use of deadly force I'm familiar with is:

Definition: That force which a person uses for the purpose of causing - or which he knows or should reasonably know, would create substantial risk of causing - death or serious bodily harm.

Deadly Force is justified under conditions of extreme necessity and only as a last resort when all lesser means have failed or cannot reasonably be employed. It is used only as a last resort.

Deadly Force is justified only under one or more of the following circumstances:

1. In self defense.

2. In defense of property involving national security.

3. In defense of property not involving national security, but inherently dangerous to others.

4. To prevent serious crimes against others.

5. To apprehend, or to prevent the escape of persons known to have committed an offense of the nature specified above.

6. When directed by lawful order of a competent authority.

You don't use deadly force unless you absolutely HAVE to stop some action by someone. A Taser is NOT an alternate (serving as a substitute) for deadly force. One thing that is apparent in Taser training classes (all agencies I'm familiar with require a class - which includes getting Tased - before you can carry a Taser) is that at least 1 or 2 people out of a 20 to 25 person class will NOT be affected by the Taser. If someone HAS to be stopped (coming at you with knife, about to shoot your kid, etc) are you going to use a Taser as an alternate to deadly force and hope it works??

The Taser is another tool just like tear gas that is NOT considered deadly force. Admittedly it is higher on the scale and there is a higher chance of someone dying from it than if I yell HALT at them and the yell startles them into a heart attack. Or if someone with asthma gets pepper sprayed and chokes to death. Or somebody in a headlock twists and breaks their neck.

My point is that if it is necessary to use deadly force, that is what you use (shoot them if you have to, run them down with your car if possible - it's a much more dependable stop than a gun) - not a Taser. When deadly force becomes necessary a Taser is NOT an alternate.

puddle jumper

Captain

ya right now in canada we got a real problem with tasers.

i know i would not want to be a cop and deal with the crap they gotta put up with.
specially when someone tries to get somthing out of thier pocket, cops dont know what it might be.... tough job.

what i dont understand is... in the olden days.. a night stick was the next level of escelation for an officer. now there grabbing tasers.

the guy in vanc airport could have been subdued in many other ways.

i think the cops need more training. attitude training and when to use what weapon. that used to be standard training a long time ago.

cheers
oops
I under stand what your saying but in the old days, most people getting busted did not have a weapons like thay do today. I cant blame the cops for being trigger happy with the taser. I guess the best thing to say if you get pulled over or approached by a cop,do as your told on till he is done with you. Its called respect and he may be trying to tell you something to help keep you safe. To many people lip them off for no reason. One last thing if your not breaking the law you have nothing to worry about.

woodrat

Ensign

The idea that only other cops should be allowed to critique a cop is just plain bogus. They work for US. They are OUR employees. The whole thing about only cops can review and judge the actions of other cops is part of what brought us to the sorry state of affairs where almost NO bad cop is ever actually taken off the force, even as legitimate complaints against them pile up.

Sorry, I just don't do uniform worship. If they want me to obey them when they have a loaded gun and the whole force of the system on their side, well, that's a no brainer. If they want respect, then they have to act respectable. Some do, and some don't.

And I'm certainly not saying that the "victim" was anything but an idiot, or even that he should be suing anybody. Yes, he was lucky. Plenty of people have been shot dead by cops for that kind of stupidity.

45Auto

Commander

No one said anything about ONLY cops critiqueing cops. A cops actions are probably subject to more critique and review than most other jobs. Some of it is even valid! In many places the top law enforcement reports to an elected position (for example, an appointed vs elected police chief or sheriff) so you also have the "political correctness" factor.

The whole thing about only cops can review and judge the actions of other cops is part of what brought us to the sorry state of affairs where almost NO bad cop is ever actually taken off the force, even as legitimate complaints against them pile up.

Comments like the one above are what discredits your statements. Do you have any evidence besides what you've seen or heard on the internet or TV about these "legitimate" complaints? Have you seen the evidence from BOTH sides? Do you have UNEDITED video or audio of these "legitimate" complaints?

If you have any of the above you need to bring it forward. If you're afraid to bring it to the authorities then call a reporter. Heck, email me and I'll bring it out. Cops are subject to the same laws as everyone else. The newspaper and TV networks will jump all over it! They just disbanded a New Jersey SWAT team partly because of ?inappropriate behavior? (they had a picture of the leader with some women flashing her chest) during Mardi Gras in New Orleans. If you?ve ever been to New Orleans during Mardi Gras you would realize that it would be almost impossible to take a picture WITHOUT topless women in it ?????..

Nobody expects you to ?worship? a uniform. But Woodrat, my guess is that you have never served in a military or law enforcement capacity. If you had you would know from the military that "you don't salute the man, you salute the uniform". You're required to salute a superior officer whether you respect him or not. If he's incompetent you work to have him relieved but you still salute him.

It kind of works the same way with cops. No one expects you to "worship" a uniform. But you show a little respect for the uniform when they approach you and they'll treat you with the same respect. You try to prove how big and bad you are to that uniform and you?ll probably find out exactly where you stand on the big and bad scale. You?re dealing with someone who has been trained that they CANNOT lose control of any situation or it may cost them their life.

My comment on ?qualified? critique was directed towards Drowned Rats' comments on Tasers as alternates to deadly force. If you want to make comments on the use of deadly force or alternates, your comments have a lot more credibility if you at least know what deadly force is!!

Drowned Rat

Captain

By 45Auto>>> "My comment on ?qualified? critique was directed towards Drowned Rats' comments on Tasers as alternates to deadly force. If you want to make comments on the use of deadly force or alternates, your comments have a lot more credibility if you at least know what deadly force is!!"

I was on the job for 7 years, I know what deadly force is. My problem is with the way the Taser is used today. It would appear to be an excessive use of force in some circumstances. Part of the reason for that is it is viewed by many as an "alternate" to getting shot.

45Auto

Commander

We're probably trying to say the same thing with different words, Drowned Rat.

No argument that many uses of Tasers could be considered excessive use of force. I think that's the main reason Tasers and pepper spray are specifically NOT included in the Force Continuum taught locally. Can't say how it is anywhere else. Where to use the Taser or pepper spray in the escalation of force is left up to the officers discretion. That way it's much harder to prove excessive force in a court. No specific documents a lawyer can point to and say "my client was only doing this so the officer should only have gone one step above and done that".

I wouldn't be surprised if you find that the best officers had the least use of the Tasers. Many times the Taser is a handy "crutch" when a less-skilled officer is losing control of the situation.

If someone sees the Taser as an alternative to shooting I would hope that they would vote for the Taser every time! I bet the percentage of people who die from getting Tased is a LOT less than the percentage who die from getting shot! But I would hope that they are well-trained enough to recognize that when deadly force IS required a Taser shouldn't even enter your thoughts.

woodrat

Ensign

sorry about the length, but you did ask for examples...

No one said anything about ONLY cops critiqueing cops.

OK, then who do you suggest is "qualified" to critique a cop, besides other cops?

Comments like the one above are what discredits your statements. Do you have any evidence besides what you've seen or heard on the internet or TV about these "legitimate" complaints? Have you seen the evidence from BOTH sides? Do you have UNEDITED video or audio of these "legitimate" complaints?

Portland, OR is the city closest to me and one that I have lived in several times. In the past twenty years there have been MANY police shootings, and at least as far as I have read about them, MANY if not MOST of them have been against people who turned out to be unarmed and just crazy, stupid, or even in diabetic shock and acting strangely. Police have been known to shoot people to make them obey, when they were acting strangely.

Only one cop that I know of was removed from the force for a police shooting. He had been called to remove a troublesome gang banger from a bus where he was being an a*****e. The kid ran away, throwing away his gun as he ran. The cop pursued him with a high capacity Glock, through a four lane arterial at rush hour and EMPTIED his magazine at the kid's back, and then stopped and RELOADED and continued shooting. While surrounded by traffic, pedestrians, houses, etc. in front of dozens of witnesses. One bullet managed to find its target, wounding and bringing down the stupid gangster, and miraculously, no bystanders were injured. Did the police force reject this man's outrageous actions? No. They defended him to the end, defended this shooting as justified, but the public outcry was so intense that the officer was eventually removed. If it had been up to the union and his co workers he would have had NO punishment and would have kept his job.

Want another one? This one is still in the courts. Police spot scruffy looking guy peeing in the bushes. He sees the cops, and runs away. They chase him down and two heavy cops jump on this guy and bring him to the pavement with a couple of 200 + pound cops on top of him ("perp" is 145#). they kick the crap out of him and hog tie him. He has no weapons, no warrants and was later found to have no intoxicants in his blood. But he did have 16 broken ribs and a punctured lung. Unbelieveably, the medics release him to go to jail, still hogtied. There is a now famous photo of the cops and medics standing around laughing while this guy lies hogtied on the pavement, dying.

That's right, he DIED. Because he was crazy, homeless and afraid enough of the cops to try to run away from them. That was his crime. The officer who took him down has a long long list of similar excessive force complaints, and the union and the city defend him completely, with taxpayer dollars.

A few years ago, my wife was pulled over in Portland for going too slowly (she was looking for the street she needed to turn onto). The officer was acting strangely, not really coming to the point and creeping her out. When he saw the kids in the back of the van, he abruptly let her go with some weird threatening comment about "next time." Years later, a cop did get booted off the force for a long, long history of pulling over women who were alone, getting them out of the car to search them for his "safety" and groping them. Complaints had piled up against him for years apparently, with nothing being done about it until the most recent victims had given up with the police chief and went to the papers. Eventually it all came unraveled and they had to fire the guy, but they defended him with taxpayer dollars for a long time.

yeah sure, respect the uniform huh? That's exactly what that creep was counting on. And his peers and supervisors covered for him out of instinct. What would you do if your wife got pulled over and groped by a cop? What would you do if the police force refused to do anything about your complaint and kept the guy on the force?

I know that there are many many incidents every day where cops do their jobs well and respectfully and that those never make the paper. And that cops who commonly use excessive force are probably in the small minority. Which is why I think they should be removed from the force.

But I also know from personal experience and from following the news that there are lots and lots of incidents every day where police officers abuse their authority and get away with it because no one died, complained, or took video. Most of the time it is precipitated by a civilian who is acting strangely, not following orders, or not understanding what the officer wants of them, sometimes due to language barriers, sometimes because they are stupid or on drugs, sometimes just because they are crazy or retarded or having a medical episode. Either way, there is no death penalty for those things.

Nobody expects you to ?worship? a uniform. But Woodrat, my guess is that you have never served in a military or law enforcement capacity. If you had you would know from the military that "you don't salute the man, you salute the uniform". You're required to salute a superior officer whether you respect him or not. If he's incompetent you work to have him relieved but you still salute him.

It kind of works the same way with cops. No one expects you to "worship" a uniform. But you show a little respect for the uniform when they approach you and they'll treat you with the same respect. You try to prove how big and bad you are to that uniform and you?ll probably find out exactly where you stand on the big and bad scale. You?re dealing with someone who has been trained that they CANNOT lose control of any situation or it may cost them their life.

If i was in the military or the police force, yes, I would have to salute the uniform, whether or not it was occupied by anyone who deserved respect. But I am NOT in the military or police force. I am a civilian, in a civil society, not a military dictatorship or police state. I am NOT required to salute the police officer. Only to fear and obey him when necessary. I don't respect an empty uniform, only the man or woman who is wearing it, and then only if they warrant respect.

I'm old enough and smart enough now that I never try to out-badass the cop. That is a losing game, everytime. But I sure am not going to salute the guy when he is being an unprofessional jerk.

My comment on ?qualified? critique was directed towards Drowned Rats' comments on Tasers as alternates to deadly force. If you want to make comments on the use of deadly force or alternates, your comments have a lot more credibility if you at least know what deadly force is!!

Which he proved that he does. What remains is just a difference of opinion.

Drowned Rat

Captain

"I wouldn't be surprised if you find that the best officers had the least use of the Tasers. Many times the Taser is a handy "crutch" when a less-skilled officer is losing control of the situation."

Totally agree with this and I guess that's why I see this particular use of the Taser as excessive. The situation, as it "appeared" on Youtube, likely could have been handled with a calm, assertive demeanor.

45Auto

Commander

I don't respect an empty uniform, only the man or woman who is wearing it, and then only if they warrant respect.

You've convinced me. Next time that cop you've never seen before and know nothing about stops you, don't show any respect for the uniform and do what you want to instead of what he says until he earns your respect! SHOW HIM that he has to earn your respect! :)

Only to fear and obey him when necessary.

That's exactly why the Taser has become so popular. If that's what it takes to get your co-operation, that's what they will use.

Kenneth Brown

Captain

"yeah sure, respect the uniform huh? That's exactly what that creep was counting on. And his peers and supervisors covered for him out of instinct. What would you do if your wife got pulled over and groped by a cop? What would you do if the police force refused to do anything about your complaint and kept the guy on the force?"

To tell the truth thats the point that I move from good guy to bad guy. I've got enough experiance to stage the accident that claimed his life. Theres you an admission that I will go WAY outside the law if I see the need for it.

45Auto

Commander

What would you do if your wife got pulled over and groped by a cop? What would you do if the police force refused to do anything about your complaint and kept the guy on the force?"

Too many unknowns here to even comment on. Any other witnesses in the car? How many times in the past has your wife complained about getting "groped" when she doesn't get away with something like speeding? Any video from the cop car showing that the cop never got closer than 10 feet to her car? Is there any history of complaints against the cop? Usually not an isolated incident with a personality that would do that. Unfortunately complaints like this have become a very common method of retaliation when somebody is pi$$ed. All of them need to be investigated, but MOST of the time they turn out to be false if any other witnesses or video is available. Not saying it couldn't happen, you just need a little more info in your scenario before requiring a decision. I've seen complaints where a woman claimed she was molested and the guy was in PRISON in another state at the time. And a complaint against a cop who was in school at the FBI Academy (2000 miles away) when it supposedly occured.

Cracks me up when people complain about the cops being a little rougher than they think they should, then Kenneth Brown would have no trouble killing someone for supposedly groping his wife. Assuming, of course, that he's not just acting tough and talking crap. Unfortunately for the cops, they have to make their decisions instantly based on the other persons actions. Maybe you could get a little light mounted on people's head that would light up when they're not serious and really wouldn't hurt anyone with that gun they're holding?

45Auto

Commander

I realize that this is totally uncalled for and very seldom done, but try looking at this from the other side:

What would you do if your wife got pulled over and groped by a cop? What would you do if the police force refused to do anything about your complaint and kept the guy on the force?"

What do you want the police chief to do? Say we have a cop that's been there 20 years, no complaints, all kinds of decorations for heroism and community service. Now you get a complaint from some lady looks like Godzilla's grandmother that he groped her on a traffic stop? No hard evidence from either side, just his word against hers. Want them to fire him?

Same thing except a young cop, no medals or anything, no previous complaints, the woman looks like a movie star? Do you fire him?

You really want to throw every cop off the force who has a BS complaint filed against him?? It should be obvious to anyone that every traffic stop would cost the cop his job in that case?

woodrat

Ensign

45auto;

you either misread or are deliberately ignoring parts of what I said. In this situation, the cop in question had MULTIPLE complaints against him, over time, from multiple different women. The police "internal affairs" process either bungled it completely or deliberately looked the other way for this guy. He was eventually CONVICTED in a court of law when the evidence started spilling over OUTSIDE of the internal affairs process. My point is that the IA department should never have let it get that far out of hand, and since they did, I am going to question the legitimacy and usefulness of that process. And of course that isn't even the only time that that particular police department has covered for their own way past the time they should have been doing something about the problem, instead of denying it.

Obviously, you wouldn't fire someone outright over one unsubstantiated complaint. No one is suggesting that. But an officer with a history of similar complaints against him, from multiple different persons should be looked at very closely, and without the automatic "our brother can do no wrong" attitude that most of these internal reviews seem to have. And if that were done more effectively, then you would quickly weed out the bullies and abusers, because I think the real abusers of power are probably in the tiny minority. And the public trust in the law and the police department would be increased.

That's exactly why the Taser has become so popular. If that's what it takes to get your co-operation, that's what they will use.

This is missing my point completely. Any cop who pulls me over is going to get my polite cooperation, every time, with no need for tasers or force of any kind. Only the decent ones will earn my RESPECT. There is a difference. The uniform itself is only a symbol of state power that can be used correctly or abused severely, depending on the character of the person wearing it. The abusers, power-trippers, creeps and liars who happen to wear a uniform are not ever going to be respected by me. And I think if you are suggesting that I owe them respect simply because of their job, you are asking me to dilute and water down the meaning of "respect".

45Auto

Commander

My quote from post #74:
It kind of works the same way with cops. No one expects you to "worship" a uniform. But you show a little respect for the uniform when they approach you and they'll treat you with the same respect.

Woodrat's quote from post #83:
Any cop who pulls me over is going to get my polite cooperation, every time, with no need for tasers or force of any kind. Only the decent ones will earn my RESPECT.

I'm not sure what the difference is. What I call "respect for the uniform" you call "polite cooperation, every time". If you don't want to call it "respect for the uniform", then as long as they get that "polite cooperation, every time" the cops will assume it is "respect for the uniform" and everyone will be happy!

No one is denying that there are bad cops out there. There are bad doctors, lawyers, politicians, engineers, managers, mechanics, IA department heads, etc., etc., etc. Sometimes it takes an escalation of the visibility to correct the bad situation. Not sure what you can do about that. And I think that you will find that in any situation where a group is exposed to danger (soldiers, cops, firemen, etc) they will tend to bond together and protect each other (because it is in their own self-interest if for no other reason). Don't know what you can do about that either.

woodrat

Ensign

any group that is given loaded guns and the authority to arrest and command people to obey or else, should be a very clean, well balanced group of people. My experience has shown that there are many people holding that job who probably shouldn't be. And when the good ones defend the bad ones, they all look bad to me, and they are hurting their own profession.

The important distinction for me when I come away from an encounter with a LE officer is this: Do I feel like that person was respectful and fair, or do I feel like they were rude and disrespectful and/or dishonest? In the 20 years or so since I wised up and learned not to argue with police officers, I'd say that the officers I've dealt with have been about 50/50 respectful/rude. Those aren't great numbers.

And if the cops themselves won't clean house, then no, there's not a lot that can be done by those of us ordinary civilians who would like to see more accountability.