Tandem axle trailer weight?

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
I am looking to purchase a Bayliner 2452 boat. Dry weight is some 4800# and I know from experience what the fuel, water and all the stuff you take with you weighes.
This 24' boat sits on a typcial tandem axle trailer. Would anyone guess what the weight of the trailer could be?
I don't want to overload my truck!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you are just looking for ball-park weights for towed figures. use #1250-#1300

if you need a weight to get it registered, call the company and get them to email you the shipping weight of your VIN

some other notable weights

fresh water is 8#/gallon, black water is 10#/gallon, fuel is 6.82# per gallon, a group 31 battery is 75#, anchor and line is about #200, PFD's etc is about 25#, a case of beer is #40

keninaz

Chief Petty Officer
Of course I don't have a vin yet as I have not bought the boat. But it appears from what I am hearing elsewhere that my estimate of 2500# might be heavy.
Had many boats over time, I know what the gear can weigh and I am taking that into consideration also, but thanks.

Dillusion808

Seaman Apprentice
Lets try what truck do you have?

#2500 is probably a tandem axle cargo type trailer and not one for boats. So a lot more metal on it for railings full platform and I'm assuming some sort of ramp.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
My Metalcraft trailer for a Chaparral 256 SSI weighs 1900, by itself, on a scale.
My trailer for a Sea Ray 270 Sundeck weighed within 40 pounds of that.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
if you are just looking for ball-park weights for towed figures. use #1250-#1300

if you need a weight to get it registered, call the company and get them to email you the shipping weight of your VIN

some other notable weights

fresh water is 8#/gallon, black water is 10#/gallon, fuel is 6.82# per gallon, a group 31 battery is 75#, anchor and line is about #200, PFD's etc is about 25#, a case of beer is #40
Didn't see ice weight calculations....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The #6k aluminum bunk trailer under my 226 Grady is #1430. The steel roller trailer it replaced was ~#200 heavier

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Personally, I would have said a "Professional Engineer". People that use the slang terms are usually ones that have no clue about anything.
Guessing you looked at my linked in profile?

ChooChooSnakeMan

Seaman Apprentice
For comparison I offer these verified (certified highway scale) weights. My boat is a little larger than yours so your trailer should be less weight than mine. Boat is Ebbtide 2660 Ztrak 26 1/2' bowrider. Spec lists the weight as 5,200 lbs for the boat. My trailer is a Tennessee tandem with brakes on both axles. I had the boat and trailer weighed on the certified scales and it was 7,400 lbs on the money. The boat had just over 1/2 tank of gas (70 gal. full capacity) and a few items on it so I call it 5,500 lbs. That means my trailer is around 1,900 lbs. I would guess your trailer weighs maybe 1,750 to 1,800 lbs. I hope this helps.

ChooChooSnakeMan

Seaman Apprentice
Yes Tennessee Trailers is a long term trailer manufacturing company that has their manufacturing facility right outside of Chattanooga, TN which is the area I live. Tennessee trailer was the OEM supplier for many trailers for many boat brands including Ebbtide. My Ebbtide 2660 Ztrak came with an upgraded Tennessee Trailers galvanized tandem axle with brakes on both axles. When we towed my Ebbtide home it was apparent that the brakes were not working at all. There was also a LED light that was out. I called Tennessee Trailers and they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. While they can't sell a finished trailer to a consumer they will do repairs and they do have a stock of parts. I dropped my trailer (with the boat on it) off at their facility. They went over the trailer and replaced the brake master cylinder unit with a new one, replaced the led light, and checked the wheel bearings for proper play. They really did a complete trailer inspection including the bunks and carpet. While they were checking the wheel bearings they greased the spindles. They did all this in one day and I was able to pick the boat up that afternoon! Costs were reasonable. What a difference the work made. With proper brake operation towing the boat and trailer with my V8 F150 was a breeze. I also have to mention that the seller of my boat did the right thing and covered the cost of the repairs!