Tandem Axle Brake Question

bass striker

Seaman Apprentice
If you have a tandem axle trailer what axle is the best to put brakes on front or rear? Or better on both?
I tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee which pulls fine but stopping needs a bit of help.

Thx for your help

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Tandem Axle Brake Question

If you have a tandem axle trailer what axle is the best to put brakes on front or rear? Or better on both?
I tow with a Jeep Grand Cherokee which pulls fine but stopping needs a bit of help.

Thx for your help

If it's a normal rocker setup, brakes on the rear wheels will load the rocker and pick up some weight off the front axle, and also put a little extra weight on the tongue, all of which improves both braking and control.

It usually doesn't take so much weight off the front axle that it picks it up, so the front tires continue to roll and help directional stability, even if the back tires slide.

hope it helps
John

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the law in Canada is a tandem axel trailer must have brakes on both axels

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Brakes on both axles is best, but if only one then they should be on the rear axle like j martin said for a leaf spring rocker setup. If it has dual torsion axles, it shouldn't matter.

j_martin

Admiral

the law in Canada is a tandem axel trailer must have brakes on both axels

Ah yes, the nanny state again. Brakes on all wheels of a multi axle trailer without full time ABS on ice is tantamount to a suicide wish.

Got into a 14 wheel skid for about a quarter mile on glare ice one time. I managed to float it without leaving too much paint on the guard rail or jackknifing, but I have no idea how. I still have nightmares.

John

bass striker

Seaman Apprentice

Ya Ice and trailers dont mix well.

About 10yrs ago we were going to a buddys cabin, jacknifed my 4 place snomobile trailer on ice. When jacknife happened we were on a bridge that had iced up, so it totaled out the truck and 2 snowmobiles. Needless to say it was a short trip and that trailer had no brakes! Im sure trailer brakes can add a whole new dimension to icey roads.:(

QC

Supreme Mariner

Boat trailers and ice . . . rarely the twain shall meet ;)

j_martin

Admiral

Boat trailers and ice . . . rarely the twain shall meet ;)

So how's a Canuck or a Cheesehead going to get the boat to Texas in February to deal with the cabin fever?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Rarely, like your scenario . . . :) Just struck me as funny, plus how the flyin' fliip is a California boy supposed to understand that? :D

bass striker

Seaman Apprentice

Cheese and beer is there anything better in life?

I love the four seasons of the midwest would not give it up for anything!
I love sitting out in the woods in November freezin my but off, but its all worth it when you tag that animal ya harvest.

As for a boat in the winter, not to many times but yes the occassional fishing trip to another state.