Talking to tools: does it help?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
I think sometimes tools need a little encouragement - hand tools, power tools, even electronic tools like computers. Also things like batteries, breaker switches & electrical connections.<br /><br />One thing I noticed though, no matter what you say, you can't make a 7/16 socket fit an 11/16 bolt. And if you're too hard on 'em sometimes they retaliate, like last week adjusting my keel rollers, the socket let go and gave me a good rap on the knuckles.<br /><br />Anybody else talk to their tools, or am I just crazy?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Talking to tools: does it help?

Hmmmm. Yes, now that I think about it.<br /><br />I mostly talk to power tools, my truck, tractor, implements, guns and cat.<br /><br />But I do sometimes talk to hand tools, too, and not always in a friendly manner.<br /><br />Only the cat talks back. :)

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

From time to time i'll yell,fuss and cuss at them, i'd like to think it makes me feel better but i'm not so sure :D

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Why I don't know if it helps or not, Never had a tool I didn't talk to, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have been known to talk to my SUV while pulling the boat up steep hills - "come on old girl..."<br /><br />But I generally only talk to my tools if I injure myself...not the best of language either :D <br /><br />Does it help? ....definitely ;)

jimchere

Petty Officer 1st Class

I talk to 'em, when I can't find the one I need. When I can't find that 3/8 socket (all other sizes spanning it right in front of me) I swear to it that if it don't show itself, I'll eventually find it and destroy it, especially if I have to go get a replacement.<br />Never works.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

hmmmmm.. talk..?.. its usually a hail to all things evil as its being hurled through the air.. <br /><br />yes, it helps!<br /><br /> :D :D :D

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Do it all the time. Even apologize to them when I get crankky and yell and the tool ends up "somewhere" in the shop besides by hand. Gotta realize they are like computers.....dumb. They only do what you tell them to do. And if they screw up, ain't there fault..... :)

alderman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I talk (cuss) my gps survey equipment all the time. Ok I know I am under the biggest tree in the woods, what has that got to do with it not initalizing. How come when I move 2 feet away from where I want to be will it work. I tried talking to the satelites once, but I guess they are too far away to hear me. <br />I had a vary intersting conversation once with a 3/4" open end that had just rapped my knuckle.<br />Ray

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tried talking to a tool once - but he threw a hammer at me.<br /><br />JD

f_inscreenname

Commander

It only counts if you say it loud enough for the neighbors to hear. If not it is just thinking out loud or at least that is what I tell the wife when she asks who I am talking to. :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Do it all the time. Sometimes nice, sometimes mean.<br /><br />I also try reverse psychology when looking for something. You know you never find something if you are looking for it, but you always find something you were looking for last week. I try to convince my brain I am looking for something else, when actually looking for the correct tool. Never works. :D <br /><br />I also "punish" parts that fail.<br /><br />Last time the fuel pump went out, I spiked it in the street. Dont care what the neighbors think, hopefully it will keep em away.<br /><br />Ken

Kenneth Brown

Captain

I have tried the reverse physch on the tools too. I didn't find them and felt stupid afterward. A few choice words later I proved how stupid I was.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Normally I only address my pry-bar, and only after it gives up when trying to tighten a fanbelt. Usually it makes a facial attack upon me and deserves a good dressing down.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Originally posted by BoatBuoy:<br /> Normally I only address my pry-bar, and only after it gives up when trying to tighten a fanbelt. Usually it makes a facial attack upon me and deserves a good dressing down.
LMAO :D :D :D

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yup.. Talk to my tools, boats, truck, and other inanimate objects too... I do believe it helps.. :) <br /><br />The boats and truck often get a "thank you" for an "un-eventful" trip...<br /><br />I prefer to encourage my tools, but a verbal thrashing is'nt out of the ordinary..<br /><br />Sometimes, after all else fails, I just shut up and let the BFH do the talking.. :eek:

NOSLEEP

Commander

I dont know about talk'n to them. But throwing<br />them can be very therapeutical.

LadyFish

Admiral

Talk to them? ROTFLOL<br /><br />Mr. LF swears like a drunken sailor at them and usually loud enough for all to hear.

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by NOSLEEP:<br /> I dont know about talk'n to them. But throwing<br />them can be very therapeutical.
There are a couple sockets that found the woods after a knuckle busting slip. No amount of talking to them could make me feel as good as whipping them with a "I'll teach you, you SOB"

NYMINUTE

Captain

My Snap On's seem to respond better than my Proto's to tirades, and insults. The Craftsman usually retalliate by failing to accomplish their said mission. The group as a whole usually reminds me that when I point the finger at them, the my thumb indicates the real problem. :D :D