Taking on water

showdog

Cadet
Noticed on my last trip out that my bilge kept coming on every couple of hours. Would pump for about 10 seconds. Opened the hatch and found a fast dribbling stream of water falling from under the bottom of engine at about the same spot as the outdrive connects to the engine. can barely see the stream of water falling but could not get to where it was coming from. Big block 454 and Volvo outdrive. Can't get my hands to the spot. Not sure if it's coming from the engine or through the outdrive. Ideas?

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sounds like a drive bellows. Fix it quick or add a lot more $$$ . Don't ask how I know!

showdog

Cadet
Not sure if the bellows have ever been serviced. Noticed today that it only takes water in while sitting and engine not running. I can't see were it is coming from but I was able to reach far enough to feel it. Feels like where two plates are maybe joined, just above the plug. I'm assuming the lower unit will have to be pulled just to get to it. Tell me more no704!

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Had the identical leak in my 86 bayliner. Had a strange noise but was stupid. Ran the boat for the day. There is a weep hole in the bearing housing, the leak. Your bellows is torn. I ended up replacing my PDS Bearings and Bellhousing. I would reccomend going and greasing the **** out of your PDS bearing yesterday. Ya may be able to save it? Water coming in will wash the grease out of the bearing.

Maclin

Admiral
Water getting in thru the drive bellows will work it's way thru the driveshaft housing bearings and end up dripping out the bottom of the bellhousing on those.

Bondo

Staff member
I can't see were it is coming from but I was able to reach far enough to feel it. Feels like where two plates are maybe joined, just above the plug.

Ayuh,...... Welcome Aboard,...... Put a digital camera in that hand, 'n you can See,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Could be exhaust Y-pipe or bellows, or rotten transom. Either way, fix it ASAP or sooner

Last edited: