taking off Cobra upper drive to check shift rod height

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
'89 4.3L Cobra (MED model)<br /><br />Took off the outdrive to replace shift cable. First time I've removed drive, but everything looks cool & straightforward so far.<br /><br />Before putting it all back together, thinking about removing the upper so I can check the height of the Shift Rod. I've read through the Service Manual, and looked at the Parts Manual, and it looks like I won't need to replace any gaskets or o-rings if I do this & put it back together. As a matter of fact, I can't even see that I'm supposed to put any sealer between the upper & lower casings.<br /><br />Although I'm pretty sure I've interpreted this correctly, it seems so counterintuitive that I wanted to double check with some of you that know for sure. <br /><br />I don't have the special OMC wrench, just a regular torque wrench & sockets. Is this another case where it's more important to tighten the bolts attaching upper to lower evenly and relatively close to specs, or is it more important to get torque to exact specs for this? <br /><br />Also, I don't have the equipment to pressure test if I split the upper & lower and put them back together. Given that, would I be better off:<br /><br />A) not removing upper from lower and trusting that shift rod is at proper height (and risking needing to go back if it's not & I have trouble adjusting shifting) <br /><br />OR <br /><br />B) taking off the upper, checking the shift rod height, and then carefully monitoring fluid levels for awhile after I put it back together?<br /><br />I know neither is ideal, but given time/ resources, thats pretty much where I'm at right now.<br /><br />Thanks for any feedback!

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: taking off Cobra upper drive to check shift rod height

I've split mine before. The hardest part will be getting it back together as the 2 o-rings will give u plenty of resistence. I lubed them with gear oil & it still took plenty of pushing & twisting to get the upper & lower to mate. I didn't use a torque wrench on the bolts, just snug 'em down good & tight. It's your call as far as checking the shift rod. Just remember that u will have to remove the drive again if it ain't right. If it was me, I'd go ahead & do it while u have the drive off. Murphy's Law.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You do not have to split the outdrive to check the shift rod height, only if you have to adjust the rod. <br /><br />There is a special tool that fits over the "chicken lips" on the shift rod, while in neutral, to see if the height is correct.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't have the tool & didn't want to buy it for this (hopefully) one time use, so I split the drive.<br /><br />Like Sea Wolf said, getting it back together was really difficult. So I took the upper back off, went into the house and got some AstroGlide, an adult lubrication product; very slippery (ahem, some guest must have left it there).<br /><br />Put it on the rubber collar, the o-rings, the water tube, and the inside of the receptacle that goes around the shaft & o-rings. Upper slipped on like a hot knife into butter.<br /><br />Glad I thought to try that, or I'd probably still be out there trying to muscle it on that last 1/2 inch...