Tailgate Up? Down? or Off?

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: Tailgate Up? Down? or Off?

Flow through tail gates are available at virtually<br />any aftermarket supplier for obvious reasons.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Flow through tail gates are available at virtually<br />any aftermarket supplier for obvious reasons.
yup.....to get money from your pocket to theirs.....

Pony

Rear Admiral

NOSLEEP- i would like to see your proof. no offense but every thing i have read, seen and observed proves otherwise

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I think the older trucks it made a difference, but nowdays with newer trucks they have designed them to ride with the tailgate up.<br /><br />Also, I would theorize that the distance between the back of the cab, and the tailgate would have a significant effect on the results.<br /><br />Ken

NOSLEEP

Commander

No proof. Nothing to see here.<br />You keep your's on. Just personal test results<br />from an independent test. Using accurate testing<br />equipment. No harm, No foul.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by NOSLEEP:<br /> Flow through tail gates are available at virtually<br />any aftermarket supplier for obvious reasons.
Yeah, they also sell intake Tornados, fuel line magnets, miracle gas mileage liquids, etc. We all know none of that crap works. ;)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

10-11 MPG with the tailgate off.. (as in, removed from the vehicule)<br /><br />10-11 MPG with the bed cover...<br /><br />9-10 MPG with tailgate up...<br /><br />plus! No tailgate = easy backing up to the trailer...

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hmmmmm, I like mine up. With it down, the empties roll out, I get a ticket for littering and then then do a sobriety check. Fail the test, truck gets towed, I get a free ride and an overnight stay. Yeah, I'm keeping mine up. Its cheaper in the long run.

Tyme2fish

Commander

OK. I got more information then I neded :D <br />I just put the tailgate back on the vehicle and will keep it in the up postion. Heck, I've driven it that way for the past 5 1/2 years.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Arent you glad we cleared that up for you. :confused: :D <br /><br />Ken

oddjob

Commander

But now I'm confused. This is as complicated a global wining, I mean Warming.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As confusing as Global Whining.<br /><br />What about the stress the constant bouncing puts on the bed and tailgate brackets?<br /><br />The tailgate on my F350 weighs a ton and even though it will support a half ton of weight, it still makes a heck of a racket bouncing around back there.<br /><br />Mine stays up all the time. :)

D

DJ

Tailgate Up provides better mileage.<br /><br />The makers of trucks have proved it with EPA back up.

D

DJ

The tailgate on my F350 weighs a ton and even though it will support a half ton of weight, it still makes a heck of a racket bouncing around back there.<br /><br />Mine stays up all the time.
No worries, it will outlive both of us.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

If you are worried about the tailgate bouncing when down, just get a Tailgate Saver. One end goes in the reciever hitch, the other end clamps to the tailgate. They are found in the same aisle as Transom Savers... :) <br /><br />Extended Cab shortbox trucks do better with the gate up, single cab longbeds may do a little better with the gate down, but the before-mentions pressure pocket in the bed definately forces air up and over. I have watched small debris whirl around in a pickup bed, but not go flying out, which indicates a pocket to me. All I know is my truck gets wretched mileage no matter what...

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I had a 99 ford ranger and didn't bother testing with the gate down.... I do know however that if I ever put something in there light enough... Lets say the instructions to the universal fit reciever I didn't look at... them suckers blew around and around in there.... from front to back... so I would have to say leave it up... They never did blow out... and I drove 45 minutes 65mph one way to work...

NOSLEEP

Commander

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Tailgate Up provides better mileage.<br /><br />The makers of trucks have proved it with EPA back up.
Well that does it for me :D I'm convinced :p