Tailgate Up? Down? or Off?

Tyme2fish

Commander
This is a question for all you mother-truckers out there. I have a 99 Ranger Ext Cab 3.0L 6 cylinder manual 5 speed.<br /><br />Does it make any diference on gas milage as to the position of the tail gate. I would figure that "off" would help just because of the lost weight (all 20 pounds or so)?<br /><br />Any thoughts on the options. Up Down Off

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
Re: Tailgate Up? Down? or Off?

tailgate up. it creates a pocket of air that will cause the air to flow better. with the tailgate down, it actually creates a different wind effect.<br /><br />You're talking miniscule differences....not much will be noticed. the best solution is a cap, then a bed cover, then tailgate up, etc.<br /><br />at least this is from some information that was published in one of my trucking forums.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Down will improve milage but believe it or not it is not legal many places. Off is an option but may need to be replaced with a cargo net if you have anything in the back to stay legal also.<br /><br />Hence the popularity of them stupid net's.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Lots of debate on this one, but I believe the evidence leads to leaving it up.<br /><br />Ken

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Up and LOCKED - to heck with mileage. Mine was stolen 2 weeks ago in broad daylight at a shopping mall. :mad: $1,600 to replace :mad: <br />2000 F150

Tyme2fish

Commander

Originally posted by tcube:<br /> Up and LOCKED - to heck with mileage. Mine was stolen 2 weeks ago in broad daylight at a shopping mall. :mad: $1,600 to replace :mad: <br />2000 F150
Lock what? I have no topper. I asked a local police officer last night about regulations and he thought down was OK but he wasn't sure. He will get back with me tonight. My thought about down is a tailgater running into me and then it would be my fault.<br /><br />Am I just talking pennies to mileage here or what.<br />What does "Myth Busters" say about this?

grandx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've heard it was illegal to leave down as well, will need a net or other closure. Up creates wind drag and will reduce gas mileage, at least on the pu's I've driven. I've checked it both ways with the same driving conditions and found that leaving down improves efficiency.

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

F150s have an optional locking tailgate - mine wasn't.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have read tests of the theory that tailgate down reduces drag and improves mileage.<br /><br />Results were consistent. Tailgate down actually increases drag and reduces fuel mileage.<br /><br />I tested it with my '93 3.0 Ranger 4X4. Mpg averaged 22 with the gate up, 20.5 down. After I put a cap on it mileage was 23.5. This was almost all at highway speeds.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Agree 100% with JB.....the tailgate in the up position creates an air "bubble" that causes the air flowing over the cab to not slam into the tailgate and cause drag but rather flow over the top of it.........putting the tailgate down causes the air to slam into the truck bed and causes much more drag.<br /><br />There is no debate on this. In order of efficincy. 1) Camper shell 2) tailgate up 3)tailgate down.<br /><br />This has been proven in wind tunnel tests by all major manufactures. those who think otherwise are, sorry to say, completely fooling themselves.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Tailgate up reduces drag. Difference is so minuscule as to be negligible. For those of us that have seen this in a wind tunnel it is quite evident. ;)

Pony

Rear Admiral

Also removing the tailgate or replacing it with a net affects the structural integrity of the truck......so in other words keep the tailgate on and up or get a camper shell.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

It would probably depend. My old 1978 Ford 3/4 ton 4x4 actually ran a consistant 2 miles per galon better with the gate down or out. My Ford Ranger 4x4 sissy truck did better with it up. Then my old Ford short box did better with it up, while my old 1989 3/4ton 4x4 with a 7.3 deisel did better with it down. <br /><br />I decided though that it wasn't worth the 1 or 2 mpg I improved. Driving with it down wrecks your box in time. The tailgate holds the sides from flopping in and out, and if running with the gate down the gate flops up and down. The sides of the box spread a slight bit. That is why a lot of trucks tailgates won't close. Mine closed perfect on both my 78 andmy 89 until my hired hand ran all over the pastures with the gates down. Then they didn't work worth a darn. Had to lift the handle to close them, and they opened hard.<br /><br />Try it and see which works best for you. In most cases the mileage is better up. Down makes a low presssure area in the box causing a suction against the back of the cab. If mileage was better down, the companies would have made vents in the gates.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Someone should tell this to all the guys who run pickups at New England Dragway. Seems every street truck i've seen running down the track has the gate either down or most of the time off.<br /><br />Anyway, I don't drive a pickup, but when I use someone elses (my dads) I always leave the gate up, now I even have a good reason. ;)

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

At higher speeds, perhaps the bubble collapses?<br /><br />Plus, just cause you see it at the dragstrip, doesnt mean it is the correct thing to do.<br /><br />Ken

NOSLEEP

Commander

Tail gate off has resulted in an increase in fuel<br />economy in the bottle tests that I have been <br />involved in. The tests included running boards as<br />well and the bottle tests confirm an increase in <br />fuel economy when they are removed.<br />These tests are accurate providing ambient temperature,<br /> wind and road speed are consistent<br />throughout the test environment.

eeboater

Commander

My guess is that your gas mileage will drop dramatically when you have the tailgate down because you'll be constantly pulling over on the side of the road to pick up all the crap you dropped.<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />Sean

ZmOz

Captain

Doesn't matter if mine's up or down, full or empty, I get 6mpg. :D