Tail light problem on trailer

magillacuddy

Seaman
Coming home from the lake last night, I noticed that all of my trailer's tail lights were out. The directionals worked, but that was it. (Which made for an interesting hour ride home on all back roads). The flat plug from the vehical has indicator lights and the two indicators for the tail lights (white wires)were not lit, which tells me the problem is at the vehical's end and not the trailer. (The last time I used the trailer, all of the lights worked, and I haven't towed the boat in about 3 weeks.)

What suggestions do people have for diagnosing the problem (and fixing it)?

Thanks!

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tail light problem on trailer

I would think the trouble would be at the plug.

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get out your owners manual and started looking for blown fuses.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Agree with checking the vehicle out first.

magillacuddy

Seaman

Get out your owners manual and started looking for blown fuses.

If a fuse was blown, could that effect just the trailer's tail lights and not the vehicle's? (The tail lights on the vehicle are working).

Thanks again for the help.

htv

Seaman

Most newer vehicles have another fuse panel usually under the hood which contains a fused circuit specifically for towing. You can still have tail lights on the vehicle if this fuse blows. If you find it and is blown check for scuffed wires on the trailer.:cool:

Zeeter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If a fuse was blown, could that effect just the trailer's tail lights and not the vehicle's? (The tail lights on the vehicle are working).

Thanks again for the help.

Yup. Some vehicles have protection for the trailer circuits. Those fuses may not be with the others thats why I mentioned the owners manual. You have to start somewhere. Until you get power to that connecter you are completely guessing.