Tahoe Q6 live well filled with water somehow?

cpishere

Cadet
I bought an '06 Tahoe Q6 yesterday, put it in the water & while out idling the kids were jumping off the back into the river. Somehow, the livewell got filled with river water (the plug on back bottom of boat was in, but plug inside the well wasn't).

When I got it out of the water, I took the plug out, the live well was clogged, and once cleared it drained.

But I'm still not sure what caused it to fill up with water? The switch was turned off the whole time. Ideas?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I bought an '06 Tahoe Q6 yesterday, put it in the water & while out idling the kids were jumping off the back into the river. Somehow, the livewell got filled with river water (the plug on back bottom of boat was in, but plug inside the well wasn't).

When I got it out of the water, I took the plug out, the live well was clogged, and once cleared it drained.

But I'm still not sure what caused it to fill up with water? The switch was turned off the whole time. Ideas?

If it has a “scoop” type intact like mine, you have to turn off the water to prevent it from filling

cpishere

Cadet
If it has a “scoop” type intact like mine, you have to turn off the water to prevent it from filling

What's a "scoop type"? How do I turn off the water?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, only day 2 with the boat!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
No idea on your boat. Could be as simple as putting the plug in the drain

cpishere

Cadet
In case anybody stumbles across this, I found the answer.
The Live Well actually has 3 settings, all the way down is Manual (NOT OFF), so when you are in neutral the live well will start filling with water. You have to put the switch into the middle position, which is actually Off - then it won't fill.

And also FYI, turning the bilge on will empty the live well.