Tahoe boat

girtgist

Seaman Apprentice
I’m in the market for a new to me boat. I have found a 2016 Tahoe 400 tf that’s in my price range. Are these good boats? I’ve seen pictures and have talked with the currant owner. He was honest enough to tell me about the bad anti fouling paint job he paid for last year (as seen in the side view of the boat). I’m planning a trip tomorrow to see the boat. It looks to be in great shape and the pictures lead me to believe the gentleman has money and takes care of his possessions. I’ve also kinda facebook stalked him, just kidding, but I did look him up. I live in Vermont and the lakes are still frozen over so a test ride/drive is not doable at the moment. The boat is so nice that I don’t want to delay and have him sell it before ice is out, what to do what to do. I look to all the knowledge here!!

Attachments​

• 5DFAAA2B-B4CB-4F89-98F1-0AB71577CCEF.jpeg
    5DFAAA2B-B4CB-4F89-98F1-0AB71577CCEF.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 59F5A0F6-293C-4E31-9523-7A88A5DDBCC2.png
    59F5A0F6-293C-4E31-9523-7A88A5DDBCC2.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 2
  • 354B33AC-A850-4756-A432-76A8694FB537.png

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I've never owned a Tahoe but I would put them fairly near the bottom tier of boat brands. Even so, if you are looking for something inexpensive and this one has been well cared for it may be the boat for you.

girtgist

Seaman Apprentice
I've never owned a Tahoe but I would put them fairly near the bottom tier of boat brands. Even so, if you are looking for something inexpensive and this one has been well cared for it may be the boat for you.
Thank you, my other half is frugal. This boat did have everything on our checklist.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Many. Many threads on here about people's regrets about not sea trialing their boats.

RGrew176

Commander
Even a boat that size a survey and sea trial should be part of the purchase process. From the pics it does look good.

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was in the market for similar boats and looked at that same model. The 2 negatives that made me pass was the smaller beam width and only 1100 people weight capacity. Might not be an issue for you

tpenfield

Staff member
I’m in the market for a new to me boat. I have found a 2016 Tahoe 400 tf that’s in my price range. Are these good boats? . . .
Not really . . . they are economy minded boats (aka as cheap). They have their place in the boat market as do some other economy brands (Bayliner, etc).

You can search the Internet for discussions about Tahoe boats and decide. If you are looking for something that will be trouble-free, you may want to try a different recreational activity.

Good job stalking the current owner. That's what the Internet is for. 🤪

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thank you, my other half is frugal. This boat did have everything on our checklist.
Tahoe is an entry level boat. They have the same mercruiser engine drive etc as other makes that are higher end. Fit and finish level are lower. Good friends of ours have one been fine for them and held up well.

would definitely sea trial it, but for a first boat at a value price probably not a bad choice if in good shape and has been reasonably maintained.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
My second boat is a 2k9 Tahoe q5i sf. With the 4.3 Merc. Nice boat and cared for well which is important. Only issue I had was it seemed the seats had more stich lines than necessary, probably for aesthetics but they started to rip apart. I had them re upholstered and had them use more of a one piece with little stitching. Other than that- solid boats.

briangcc

Commander
Might just be the camera playing tricks BUT...that sunpad looks mighty wonky. Starting at the left, it seems to go up then out then back down. Mighty wonky if accurate.

Other item that sticks out is that I see the snaps for the snap in carpet but no carpet. Where is it?? Manufacturers don't install that kind of hardware if it wasn't originally equipped - waste of time.

To me, Tahoe, or anything else you can find at the big box outdoor stores, are entry level. Not saying its bad as it'll float and generally has Merc power which has dealers all over the continental US, but the trim/fit/finish isn't up to par with other offerings from other manufacturers....they rank well below Bayliner in my book.

Ultimately though its your $$ and you have to be happy with the purchase, not me or anyone else on the forum.

I would only say this...make sure your tow vehicle can actually tow your new purchase. It's a mighty unpleasant surprise when you find out you're also replacing your tow vehicle because it isn't up to snuff.

SavinRaven

Petty Officer 1st Class
deposit and sea trial. Depending on what kind of deposit he wants put it in escrow with a small contract. SEA TRIALS ARE A MUST

SavinRaven

Petty Officer 1st Class
check the oil, check for soft spots in transom and floor, check for blinker fluid. Do thorough inspection now. If all checks out tell him YES I'm interested I have cash but i need to complete a sea trial. Ask him what kind of deposit he'd be comfortable taking. ect.