Tahoe boat question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagleguy

Cadet
I am new to this forum and I am looking for a little help. At 58 years old with me and just the wife I am looking at a smaller bowrider boat without the bells and whistles but easy to move around in maintain and enjoy. That said the 2021 Tahoe T16 seems to fit the bill but I am having a hard time getting past the "Bayliner" feelings from my past. I did not put this question in the Tahoe section because I was worried about getting unbiased reviews. I know the boat is not supposed to be like say a Regal but its not priced like one new either. I was looking at a model with a 75 HP merc upgrade but other than simple options like a bimini top, depth finder and hydraulic steering I will be fine. The boat would be used in primarily a lake. Any opinions? I see lots of comparisons to the Bayliner Element but do not like that boat at all.

mr 88

Commander
Personally I would be looking at a 18' hull. Regardless of make the 16' will not ride as nicely as a 18'. From what I have read [not experienced first hand , ] the Bayliner has come a long way from when they deservedly got there bad rap from. Not sure of the Tahoe is under the same umbrella as Bayliner , but if so that does not always equate to them being built in the same plant or same standards.

mr 88

Commander
After watching the video there is really no comparison , Tahoe hands down, and it probably has a higher resale value in the long run. Oh and its made in the USA vs Mexico.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Think you'll be ok without a windshield? I'm 61 and love to get out in the fall. I need a windshield.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Personally I would be looking at a 18' hull. Regardless of make the 16' will not ride as nicely as a 18'. From what I have read [not experienced first hand , ] the Bayliner has come a long way from when they deservedly got there bad rap from. Not sure of the Tahoe is under the same umbrella as Bayliner , but if so that does not always equate to them being built in the same plant or same standards.
I agree the 18 would be a better value, but not completely because of the extra length.

Having a sport boat without a windshield would be a non-starter. Eventually you will be out on a cold day, or it may start to sprinkle a little bit. Once that happens the wife won't want to go along the next time.

eagleguy

Cadet
Think you'll be ok without a windshield? I'm 61 and love to get out in the fall. I need a windshield.
I was thinking the same thing. However as I live in Florida it might not be as bad as when I was in NY. Don't see any other new boats that compare and as stated before I am not a fan of Bayliner.

eagleguy

Cadet
Seems to me in looking at the "baby" cleats on the Tahoe T16 that they are screwed in not bolted. Does anyone know if this is true?

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
That make is a very entry level build targeted at first time buyers. That doesn't mean it's junk. Boat building standards are good today. But...be prepared to DIY some things. If it means changing out screws for bolts with a piece of wood backing under it, do it and you'll have a fine boat. Also, no open boat should set outside uncovered, especially entry level builds. It will age very quickly if done so.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have added cleats before because I prefer 4 to a side. Believe me, its not an easy task to bolt and add backer plates, so if screwed in OEM %^*& is not suitable for you, look elsewhere.

I have boated in FL as well. It's not calm and prissy all of the time, so no windshield will limit your boating experience some of the time. If you are OK with staying home and watching TV on a day you might want to go boating, then there won't be a problem.

We DO live in NY. When we bought our current family boat we paid thru the nose to have a full enclosure custom made so in the event of a weather issue, we would still be OK. For us not being able to go on a planned boating excursion is not an option.

The Tahoe (or Bayliner) is not unique. There are other competitive models out there.

eagleguy

Cadet
The boat will only be used on a lake in Florida and the inside of the boat does not allow access to the back of the cleats which is why I think they are screwed in vs bolt through.

southkogs

Staff member
If it's of any value: I've been pretty happy with our Bayliner. I would not have bought one, but getting this as a hand-me-down has turned out pretty nicely. You can see where some fit and finish details were on the lower end of the quality spectrum. But overall the build is decent.

I don't know how big the lake you're talking about in Florida is - but here in TN the lake I'm on the most is about 14,000 acres. My 20' can actually feel a little small some days. (Though I've been on that same lake in a 12' and it doesn't feel "dangerous.") We have a lot of big cruisers on the impounds in TN - up to 40' boats dropping wakes, and 120' houseboats lumbering along - and the water can get real choppy real quick. Having a little extra boat under ya' in those conditions is nice.

I trailer too. So, my 20' is towed and lives in the garage. Works out nicely for us.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The boat will only be used on a lake in Florida and the inside of the boat does not allow access to the back of the cleats which is why I think they are screwed in vs bolt through.
Higher end boats all have bolted hardware with backer plates. The manufacturing scheme is to install the parts onto the deck before it is attached to the hull. Then no access issues.

Even my lower end Stingray had bolted cleats.

eagleguy

Cadet
Thanks guys. It seems Tahoe is too Bayliner in quality for me and the screwed in cleats is a definately a deal killer for me, especially when the Tahoes are 3/4 size.

dnta11

Recruit
Higher end boats all have bolted hardware with backer plates. The manufacturing scheme is to install the parts onto the deck before it is attached to the hull. Then no access issues.

Even my lower end Stingray had bolted cleats.
The boat would be used in primarily a lake. Any opinions?
Here's my comments below. And a question for JimS123 or others re: cleat replacement. First, eagleguy, certainly lake better than what I'm doing haha, yet some of my comments apply no matter: I bought a 2021 T16 a couple months ago and wish I had paid more attention. I had to make a fast decision & buy. I've owned boats for over 50 years (first was a beloved 20' Seacraft CC for 25 years). I sold my last CC earlier this year and then discovered it would cost $400/day to rent a boat while in the Keys for 2 months so I quickly bought the T16 -w/a 75) for a 'lightweight to tow behind RV' fun ride. Enjoying the ride is fine for bayside most days, and close-to-shore ocean on very good days. I'm not really disappointed there. Yet the seemingly 'non-bolted' cleats; the placement of the battery (are you kidding me?!?); the difficulty getting into the boat from the trailer w/o a ladder with the bimini option etc has left me deeply disappointed overall. My cleats are almost black after 1 month here (I just got some Miracle Cloth, which is painstakingly taking care of that - and YES I know it's a lake boat, yet every salesperson I spoke with knew I was bringing it to the Keys and not a word of discouragement. Still - my bad, I know.) I spent $800 to get it bottom painted. Anyway, I want to change out my cleats and if they are, indeed, just screwed in then no problem. Yet I fear there's some kind of bolt on the other side that became no-access after the final build and that I could screw up by removing the ones on there. Does anyone know if they are SOLELY screwed in and replaceable, or not? Thanks!

jbcurt00

Staff member
@dnta11 Start a topic about your questions

Asking here is considered a hijack and is.discouraged

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This is also outside the 90 day inactivity window.

Status
Not open for further replies.