Tahoe 215xi thru-hull replacement

carguyjosh01

Recruit
Hello, first post here! We recently purchased a 2011 215xi. The back of the boat has many drains and outlets. I know 2 are for the livewell (one intake and one drain) and the brass plug is where the oil hose comes through. Also there is the main plastic drain. The larger deck drain is broken off as well as the livewell drain. We took the boat out Saturday and of course have water getting in the bilge. I also noticed some water in the rear side draining storage under the seat and water in the bottom of the livewell. Is it normal to get water coming up in the bottom drains? I also plugged the back cooler since it drains directly into the bilge. Should I replace the larger deck drain with a thru hull with a flapper (scupper)? All of those drains are below the water line at the back. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20201104_141155588.jpg
    IMG_20201104_141155588.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hello, first post here! We recently purchased a 2011 215xi. The back of the boat has many drains and outlets. I know 2 are for the livewell (one intake and one drain) and the brass plug is where the oil hose comes through. Also there is the main plastic drain. The larger deck drain is broken off as well as the livewell drain. We took the boat out Saturday and of course have water getting in the bilge. I also noticed some water in the rear side draining storage under the seat and water in the bottom of the livewell. Is it normal to get water coming up in the bottom drains? I also plugged the back cooler since it drains directly into the bilge. Should I replace the larger deck drain with a thru hull with a flapper (scupper)? All of those drains are below the water line at the back. Thanks!
Plastic thru hulls have no place on the boat......they should all be replaced with bronze.
Water can not go any higher than water level. Flappers would serve no purpose unless the hose terminates at or below water level.

carguyjosh01

Recruit
Yes from what I've read, I really don't want plastic! I've been looking at stainless. Would that be good? This boat will be in freshwater only. Thanks

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Yes from what I've read, I really don't want plastic! I've been looking at stainless. Would that be good? This boat will be in freshwater only. Thanks
No stainless below the water line...crevice corrosion
If you want bling, Perko makes chrome plated bronze fittings

carguyjosh01

Recruit
What I need to figure out is where exactly the water is coming from. It seems that the livewell has 3 lines running to it. 1 drain at the bottom that goes straight to the transom with a thru hull. 1 feed line that runs from the transom to a livewell pump and then to the livewell, and 1 overflow which is larger than the other 2 that runs straight to the transom to a thru hull. When running the boat the other day, we were taking on water from somewhere. I noticed in the livewell there were 2-3" of water at the bottom. There was also water in the port side underseat drainage area. I now think this area just drains to the bilge. There was also water in the ski locker 3-4" deep which drains directly to the bilge. Basically we were in the water about 2 hrs and i turned the bilge on 3 times and each time it ran for 10-15 seconds before stopping to pump water out. The bellows appear to be not damaged from what I can tell.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What I need to figure out is where exactly the water is coming from. It seems that the livewell has 3 lines running to it. 1 drain at the bottom that goes straight to the transom with a thru hull. 1 feed line that runs from the transom to a livewell pump and then to the livewell, and 1 overflow which is larger than the other 2 that runs straight to the transom to a thru hull. When running the boat the other day, we were taking on water from somewhere. I noticed in the livewell there were 2-3" of water at the bottom. There was also water in the port side underseat drainage area. I now think this area just drains to the bilge. There was also water in the ski locker 3-4" deep which drains directly to the bilge. Basically we were in the water about 2 hrs and i turned the bilge on 3 times and each time it ran for 10-15 seconds before stopping to pump water out. The bellows appear to be not damaged from what I can tell.
The water is coming from the broken thru hull and associated plumbing fixtures. Every plastic fitting on the boat is suspect at this point.

Lucky the fitting hasn't blow out completely leaving you with an open 1 1/4" diameter hole in the bottom of your boat