Tachmeter connection for idle rpm set

locofishing

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
10
where do I hookup my tachmeter to monitor the rpm while setting thd idle
on a 1987 90hp envinrude.

Thanks
 

F_R

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
28,226
Re: Tachmeter connection for idle rpm set

We don't know because we don't know what your tachometer needs. Most shop tachs have an inductive pickup that clamps to a spark plug wire.
 

locofishing

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
10
Re: Tachmeter connection for idle rpm set

Good point! I don't remember, I have to check when I get home tonight.

Thanks
 

locofishing

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
10
Re: Tachmeter connection for idle rpm set

The tachometer has two alligator clips, one red the other black.
 

Silvertip

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Sep 22, 2003
Messages
28,772
Re: Tachmeter connection for idle rpm set

Better look again. One red = POS battery terminal, one black = NEG battery terminal. That leaves you one wire short, which would be what you asked about. Where do I hook my tach. It depends on the tach. Most have an inductive pickup that snaps around a plug wire as was mentioned.
 

locofishing

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
10
Re: Tachmeter connection for idle rpm set

older tach, early 80's made by KAL Equip Model 2020. Only has the two wires,
+/-
 

F_R

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
28,226
Re: Tachmeter connection for idle rpm set

Is that a tach/dwell meter? It was probably supposed to clip to the coil on an old points-and-condenser car. Probably won't work on this outboard. Tach too old technology or motor too new technology, depending on how you view such things.
 

locofishing

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
10
Re: Tachmeter connection for idle rpm set

I'll have to purchase a new one.

Thanks.
 
Top