Tach signal negative volts??

rolrandy

Cadet
Re: Tach signal negative volts??

I guess the tach is bad the way you are going???????????

the recitifier is new factory OMC
I have run for 2 years on the batteries I have and just plug them in when the boat in the garage no problems trolling motor run for several hours when out never cranks slow

Maybe it is charging but very low ???

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Put a voltmeter directlly on the battery with the ignition off and nothing running or active on the battery and take a reading. Start the motor and take another reading. What are the readings?

rolrandy

Cadet

the readings are 12.43 running and 12 .43 with all off directly to the battery

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

That the tach will respond when connected directly to the alternator and, that you have no variation in voltage at the battery would indicate that your rectifier is dead.

A rectifier has diodes that cannot stand current coming at them from the wrong direction. Loose battery cables, cutting the ignition off and on quickly while running, switching batteries with a switch of the wrong type while running, reversing battery polarity, disconnecting battery cables while running, and testing rectifier wires with voltage can all destroy the rectifier.

Excessive heat can also destroy the type of rectifier that you have, and will happen quickly if the engine is deprived of cooling water for even a short time.

I cannot, with any degree of certainty, establish the condition of your rectifier. I can recommend that you contact the manufacturer for an adjustment if you feel that the problem may have been their fault in the least degree.

rolrandy

Cadet

Ok I will take it back to the OMC factory shop that told me to put a rectifor in it see what they say

this seems to be costing me way too much just for the tach to work

never had a battery not charging an issue that I knew of

I guess if it ain't BROKE DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT

TACH NEVER WORKED BATTERIES WERE ALAWAYS CHARGED

rolrandy

Cadet

I guess I will take it back to the Factory OMC shop that told me my rectifer was bad

don't know what else to do

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T TRY TO FIX IT
the tach never worked and the batteried never went dead!!!