Tach Questions: To Repair Or To Buy

miketuite

Cadet
Hi,

My pontoon boat has a Teleflex tach that hasn't worked since someone ripped off the transducer some time ago. I want a working tach and I'd appreciate some comments on the options I'm thinking about. Or some other options if I'm totally off the wall.

The current guage is stuck, reading about 1000 rpms. Is that an indication that it's broken? Can I determine with a current tester whether there's a signal coming through the wires? If there is a signal, can I remove the old guage and attach a new teleflex one to the existing wires and expect it to work?

You can probably tell from my questions that I'm totally ignorant on the subject of tachs, (there are some who say I'm totally ignorant regardless of the subject) so please don't get too technical!

Thanks,

Mike

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Tach Questions: To Repair Or To Buy

Outboard motor, correct?

Regular marine tachs don't have transducers; they get their signal from the motor (varies how, depending on the type of motor). If the tach isn't getting power (there are 3 terminals: battery +, battery -, and signal, and an addtion terminal for the internal light), it will stay at whatever it was reading the last time power was cut.

miketuite

Cadet

Doh! I'm also having trouble with my depth sounder too (the ripped-off transducer) and I mixed my message. Thanks for being so gentle with me and for the information.

Mike

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

if your tach is stuck at 1000, i would check the power connections to the tach.

miketuite

Cadet

OK, thanks. Let's say I find there's no power getting to the tach. Where do I look for the problem? Is there likely to be a fuse on the power line?

Thanks,

Mike

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

usually the gauges are daisy chained together on the hot side off the ignition. if your other gauges work, just look at the connection at the tach.

miketuite

Cadet

There is power to the terminals on the tach. Could there be a problem with data getting from the motor to the tach? Is there a way I can check that? Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Mike