tach problems

bailey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been fighting a "tach" problem (needle jumps up and down, no constant reading).Reading other peoples "tach" problems here they all refer to the(rectifier/regulator).Are these one and a same part,or are they 2 seperate parts? Looking at the "BRP" parts catalogue for my engine (1980 140hp) they show to different parts.

Bailey

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: tach problems

In 1980, the rectifier is a triangular base with a cylindrical body, wired directly to the terminal block.

The regulator is separate, 6 sided and also wired directly to the terminal block.

18-5709.jpg

A lot of the problems with tachometers have to do with poor grounding at the engine, so it is a good idea to clean up your wiring before testing the rectifier.
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=190638

BTW, be sure to disconnect the battery while working on these components.

Randyg123

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: tach problems

A rectifier is a rectifier and an regulator is a regulator. A rectifier converts alternating current from the stator to direct current so it can be used to charge the battery and for other purposes. To make matters more confusing some units can be combined. Regardless, people have a tendency to mix up the terms quite readily.

In case you do not know much about electronics, alternating current generated by the stator has a sinewave shape - repeating cycles of current flowing one way and then the next. The rectifier takes one halve of the wave and 're-directs' it so both halves of the wave have current running in the same direction. That's now 'direct' current. But through rectification alone you end up with pulses of direct current going in the same direction but increasing and decreasing in intensity.

A regulator's job (at least one of them) is to even-out these pulses to make the direct current more 'regular' and it helps keep the voltage within a certain range.

Many models do not have a regulator at all. You model can come with or without on depending on if there power T-n-T.

On rectifier-only models, the tach signal comes from the lead between the rectifier and the stator. But when there are problems with the rectifier, it affects this signal and that can create havoc with the tach. I have no idea if the regulator can have any affect on the tach's signal.

It looks like you can troubleshoot your rectifier independently from the regulator by following the steps mentioned in other posts that you have reviewed. Hopefully those that know more than me will chime in soon to give better details on how to troubleshoot your tach if the steps would be different in models with a regulator.