Tablets, Tablets and again Tablets!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Howdy all,

I am in the market for a Tablet PC, Looking at the Acer Iconia W500, wanted to know if anyone has actually put their hands on one of theses and if you have, do you have an opinion you could pass on to me?

Thanks

Pony

Rear Admiral
Re: Tablets, Tablets and again Tablets!

As a tablet it is pretty decent. Response time is good, and the touchscreen is pretty responsive. The major drawback is that if you intend to dock it, the process involved is pretty horrible. It just isn't designed well beyond being a stand alone tablet. If you like windows 7 its pretty sweet, but in the tablet world I prefer android operating system...otherwise I would just get a netbook.

I have the Asus Transformer Prime and couldn't be happier. Long battery life made even longer when it is docked. Quad Core processor makes it lightening fast. HDMI video out it perfect for streaming netflix or other video applications. Plus Asus does a phenomenal job keeping up to date with software upgrades. Ice Cream Sandwich on this tablet is really nice.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Hi Pony, welcome back. Long time no post.

Sorry for the hijack MT.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Hi Pony, welcome back. Long time no post.

Sorry for the hijack MT.

Thanks Roscoe.....I don't even remember the last post I made here. Life got busy....fast.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I have the original Asus Transformer that received the upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich. I absolutely love it.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

OK, so I am also in the market. I'll be buying perhaps 3 of them so not making mistakes would be great.
In looking at the Apple, what turned me off is having to go through the istore to move anything to/from the tablet. This is not obvious a first glance looking at their specs. The last thing I want is to have them refuse to load some mp3 I captured because it doesn't have digital rights on it along with other concerns of piping everything through their site.

I've been intrigued by the Asus Transformer Prime and Samsung Galaxy. What I liked about the Asus is the additional battery time if docked to a keyboard IIRC. Do either of these Android based systems support something like a USB connection for up/downloading stuff on my PC or do I have to use the google marketplace (similar to iPad)?

I just want something that is instant on where I can surf via WiFi, store pictures and music and play some games...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Do either of these Android based systems support something like a USB connection for up/downloading stuff on my PC or do I have to use the google marketplace (similar to iPad)?

Not sure about that but you can certainly transfer via removable media.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

The reason I was looking at the Acer, it has a docking keyboard, it has real full sized USB ports, it has HDMI output, which would really help in the classes I do, it has built in N wifi and it is less expensive than the majority on the market in this configuration, the keyboard is an option on the Asus and really not available for the Ipad..

sje0123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the Toshiba Thrive and love it. Just about every port you'd ever need (USB, Mini USB, SD, HDMI).

Pony

Rear Admiral

Not sure about that but you can certainly transfer via removable media.

The dock has a USB port on it, and Asus has some sync software as well.

Perhaps the coolest feature I have found so far with my Asus is the Splash Desktop software.....when you have the software on you desktop/laptop you can mirror it to the tablet and have remote access to EVERYTHING that you have on it.

Pony

Rear Admiral

The reason I was looking at the Acer, it has a docking keyboard, it has real full sized USB ports, it has HDMI output, which would really help in the classes I do, it has built in N wifi and it is less expensive than the majority on the market in this configuration, the keyboard is an option on the Asus and really not available for the Ipad..

I would maybe consider the original transformer with the dock then. I haven't used the HDMI on that particular tablet, but on my Prime the video is phenomenal. If you go with the original, it is cheaper than the prime (and is still easily available). There are some good deals out there that I have seen with that tablet and a refurbished dock. The docking system that Asus uses is way better than the Acer.....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Pony,

I have heard good and bad about both, so I guess I will have to wait until I can find either one of them to put my hands on and see how it is. Where I live, it is hard to see these things in person.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Pony,

I have heard good and bad about both, so I guess I will have to wait until I can find either one of them to put my hands on and see how it is. Where I live, it is hard to see these things in person.

I don't think there is a product out there that has more opinions about it (good and bad) than a tablet.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't think there is a product out there that has more opinions about it (good and bad) than a tablet.

Cell phones, routers, tablets, laptops, etc. are so fun to try to read reviews on because I swear they're always split between love and hate.