synthetic outdrive oil change

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer
I am going to change my outdrive oil over to synthetic. How do I go about cleaning the regular gear oil out, or does it matter that the little bit of regular oil that is left after draining the drive mixes with the new synthetic oil?

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: synthetic outdrive oil change

Just let it drain overnight and refill.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you have been using the Mercury high performance gear oil (green stuff) then you are already using a synthetic, which is what Mercury calls for Alpha and Bravo sterndrives

Darrendude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will synthetic be ok to run in my 76' merc outdrive? Whats the pros and cons of synthetic in the outdrive?

Bondo

Staff member

Syn.Oil is All Pros......... No Cons........<br /><br />Whatever Drains out is Fine........<br />No Need to Flush Anything......<br /><br />Personally, I'll Never run Dino Oil in an Outdrive Again.......

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

We use Merc's green/blue HiPerf for everything from little outboards to bigblock Bravo 2s.<br /><br />I know what you mean, tho. Sometimes changing to synthetic motor oil in a car can cause leaks. I haven't noticed that with gearcases.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did anybody read the reply by Norther Eclipse???? It's true you know. Plus, the Merc Hi Performance has additives in it that keeps any water that gets into the drive mixed in with the oil so the water doesn't seperate and sit on the gears and bearings in the lower untill the problem is found.<br /><br /><br />
Originally posted by Northern Eclipse:<br /> If you have been using the Mercury high performance gear oil (green stuff) then you are already using a synthetic, which is what Mercury calls for Alpha and Bravo sterndrives

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for detailing my reply Don....The Merc stuff is expensive but a drive cost about 100 times more than a quart of lube.

Jimmie.jazz

Cadet

In an Alpha 1, you'll use a little MORE than a quart. Mine took about 36oz. before it started coming out the top hole, with the drive dead level.