Synchronizing Carbs and timing on a 75-150 Chrysler or early Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
In order for these engines to idle correctly and acheive full rated RPM, it is necessary to sync the carbs and timing. Follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the ball link to the carb cam at the timing tower. Disconnecting at the cam risks bending the cam. Move the cam away from the carb roller.
2. Loosen the screw(s) on the aluminum tie bar and let all carbs close completely, then tighten again.
3. Set the cam so that the scribed line is pointing directly at the black roller on the carb lever. If the cam has two closely spaced lines, set the black roller directly between them.
4. The black roller is held with an offset screw and nut. Loosen the nut and turn the screw until the black roller JUST touches the cam. Tighten the nut and re-attach the ball link maintaining the scribed line at the roller.
5. Adjust the ball link so that at full throttle the bottom carb butterfly opens substantially horizontally. Adjust the aluminum tie bar so all carb butterflies open equally at full throttle. They need not be perfect but should be rather close to horizontal for best performance.
6. Adjust timing to 30 degrees before top dead center at full throttle.
7. Adjust idle speed to 700-750 RPM in the water in forward gear. Do this with the screw on the bottom of the timing tower. Loosen the locknut and adjust. Screwing in increases idle speed. Do this in small increments and let the engine rev and adjust itself before the next adjustment. A little goes a long way here. When correct, tighten the nut. Note that the scribed line on the roller will now be (usually) below the black roller a bit.
8. NOW we adjust the mixture on the carbs. Set all low speed needles to about 1 1/4 turns out from lightly seated. Do not force as this will damage either the needles or the seats.
8A. With the engine idling in neutral, turn each the needles in equally about 1/8 turn at a time. Give the engine a couple of seconds between each adjustment to stabilize. Adjust until the engine either "sags" or stalls. Note this setting.
8B. Now go the opposite direction. Adjust until the engine runs rough, burbles, or stalls. Note this setting.
8C. Set all needles to the average between the two settings: That is, for example, if it stalled at 3/4 turn out and burbled at 1 1/4 out then set all needles to 1 turn out.
8D. Readjust idle speed to 700-750 RPM.
9. Take the boat out on the water and do a "hole shot"--Full throttle acceleration from a stop. If the engine "sags" then recovers and picks-up it is too lean. Open the needles about 1/16 turn at a time until the engine accelerates with no hesitation.
If the engine sputters or coughs or burbles, then clears itself and accelerates, it is too rich. Close the needles about 1/16 turn at a time until the engine accelerates smoothly.

10. I can NOT stress this enough! NEVER set the low speed needles less that 3/4 turns out no matter how poor the idle or acceleration. To do so will run the engine too lean and detonation and melted pistons at or near full throttle operation will result.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Synchronizing Carbs and timing on a 75-150 Chrysler or early Force

Hey Moderators! What do you think? Is this worth being a sticky?

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i think it does frank ... cause your input on sync is better then the seloc manual... that boats sucks

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

Def. sticky material. The manual says to do 1 carb at a time but that seemed kind of silly to me. Your way makes more sense!

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there a trick or special tool needed to get to the bottom carb screw? On mine, I pop-out the 3 little rubber plugs on the front of the air intake and I can get a screwdriver to the top two carbs, but the bottom carb is obstructed by the lower cowling.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

On the black Force engines, pull up the rubber cowl seal right near the front clamp. there is a small hole in the lower pan allowing you to pass a long fine screwdriver through.

hismajst

Seaman Apprentice

Thank's Frank for taking the time to spell that out. VERY good info:)!!! I will be printing this out and giving it a shot at the Lake this weekend. You are a scholar and a gentleman!!

daffidad

Cadet

How can I thank Frannk for this simple EFFECTIVE instruction. I have been struggling for 6 weeks with this issue and my seloc manual. I took 10 minutes on my 89 force 150 and followed the directions here and vrooooomm. Instant success. Thanks a million!

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great timing!! :D

Just at this stage with my first service on the motor. Very well explained. I feel confident I'll be able to tune the motor now.

Skiwi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Moderator - Please sticky post #1

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moderator - Please sticky post #1

If you guys would look at the sticky (VERY FIRST POST ON THIS FORUM) you will find it's in there, along with some others. We (moderators) can only put them there, you guys have to actually click on, and read the stickies. ;)

Skiwi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you guys would look at the sticky (VERY FIRST POST ON THIS FORUM) you will find it's in there, along with some others. We (moderators) can only put them there, you guys have to actually click on, and read the stickies. ;)

:eek: You actually expect us to READ posts rather than just post the same question again and again and again and again?

The rules around here are obviously tougher than I thought...

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.