Sylvan RPT pontoons cause my 8525 pontoon to wander like a wild bronc

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Sylvan RPT pontoons cause my 8525 pontoon to wander like a wild bronc

The REAL issue is the maker rating the vessel for that power and speed potential. I disagree with those ratings. But, by the letter of the law, they could do it.

As stated, you can't change physics.

So. The owner has an overpowered pontoon that he/she is expecting far more than the design intent.

Who wins? Lawyers. A Company goes out of business-due to the lawsuit and we still have a dissatisfied owner. And, nothing changes. Welcome to boating. A bunch of poorly financed boat makers trying to live their dream of making a boat they would enjoy.

Combine engineering stretches and a potential lack of Seamanship, and you have a disaster in the making.

A No Win situation.

For the owner:

1. Adjust your weight fore to aft.

2. Learn to use the "trim" function.

Hankson

Cadet

Mybe I'm missing your point but to infer that I don't have enough seamanship to operate this pontoon is really persumptous if not rude. Many of the off shore racers have hulls similar to these newer pontoon hulls and they can take 4 to 5' seas at 90mph! These pontoon boats are safer in my opinion than a bow rider runabout in that if you nose dive a huge wave in a pontoon you will loose your front door and rear but the boat will pop up in upright position. A bow rider will let the massive amount of water go aft and usually the boat will capsize. (been their done that at the getties in Charleston. I guess that is a good point of the internet that we can voice our opinions even if they are like armpits!
The REAL issue is the maker rating the vessel for that power and speed potential. I disagree with those ratings. But, by the letter of the law, they could do it.

As stated, you can't change physics.

So. The owner has an overpowered pontoon that he/she is expecting far more than the design intent.

Who wins? Lawyers. A Company goes out of business-due to the lawsuit and we still have a dissatisfied owner. And, nothing changes. Welcome to boating. A bunch of poorly financed boat makers trying to live their dream of making a boat they would enjoy.

Combine engineering stretches and a potential lack of Seamanship, and you have a disaster in the making.

A No Win situation.

For the owner:

1. Adjust your weight fore to aft.

2. Learn to use the "trim" function.

craigmack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I find it ironic Fleetwin comments about manufacturer's HP ratings but admits to clamping an engine higher in HP than the boat/canoe is rated for. Just love that logic and seamanship.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I find it ironic Fleetwin comments about manufacturer's HP ratings but admits to clamping an engine higher in HP than the boat/canoe is rated for. Just love that logic and seamanship.

Didn't say that. Read the whole thing.

Nice shot. Missed. This is a chat room. You don't know me or my background.

Let's clarify.

Rating and Prudent are two different things.

By the "letter of the law" based on total hull(s) displacement, design, weight distribution, etc. Anybody that flys an airplane knows how critical the last point is. e.g; a Cessna 206 with 50# too far aft can quickly become uncontrollable.

Boats are not a lot different.

The maker can rate the toon for that power. HP ratings are calculated using formulas developed by the USCG.

With that said, that does not mean that a certain type of hull may develop unforseen handling characteristics. Plus, WE DON'T KNOW the operators parameters of: trim, driving habits, etc. What is a manufacturer supposed to do? Derate all of their hulls and watch the competition put them out of business?

Trust me, the last thing needed is lawyers and MORE government regulations. As unpopular as this may be; the buyer, especially a novice, is not free from all of this. Any motorized product can be driven in a manner that can result in unwanted circumstances. I still own an old Honda three wheel ATV! I've never tipped it over or had an accident. Go figure.

There is a simple solution. Learn the boat and it's handling characteristics. Don't get into situations that may cause issues. Make some adjustments (weight/trim) and learn the characteristics.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mybe I'm missing your point but to infer that I don't have enough seamanship to operate this pontoon is really persumptous if not rude. Many of the off shore racers have hulls similar to these newer pontoon hulls and they can take 4 to 5' seas at 90mph! These pontoon boats are safer in my opinion than a bow rider runabout in that if you nose dive a huge wave in a pontoon you will loose your front door and rear but the boat will pop up in upright position. A bow rider will let the massive amount of water go aft and usually the boat will capsize. (been their done that at the getties in Charleston. I guess that is a good point of the internet that we can voice our opinions even if they are like armpits!

Hankson,

Sorry if I offended. However, you left more out than you told. I do not know if you are a "novice"? Another point untold.

1. Weight distribution. (Constantly changes on a toon). I know, I own one.
2. Trim.

Please take no offense. Learning every boat is just that-learning. Every hull is different and handles different. Boating is not like driving a car. The water is different, the wind is different and throw in a rogue wake or two and you see my point.

There are things you can do to change the handling characteristics that cost ZERO dollars.

-Captain your boat.
-Tell people where they can sit under certain conditions: towing, high speed, etc.
-Change/experiment with your trim.

I've made more boating mistakes (Thank God my flying mistakes have resulted in no mishaps) than I could ever list here but I learned from them. 30+ years of boat ownership and operation.

Old Screwball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our family has been boating for 30+ years, this is our first Pontoon. We have had Deep V's modified V's Tri-hulls, flat bottoms, jets, outboards and inboards. 70hp to over 300 with a blower. The 'Toon handles "Differently" Not better or worse, different. Love the hell out of it, just takes a bit more attention.

Good Luck!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Any one else sensing old FU

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any one else sensing old FU

I don't think so. My comments can be very short and blunt. I apologize for that.

However, there is very little to nothing that can be physically wrong with a toon. Other than what is on top, they are as basic as you can get.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen bad hulls with very weird handling characteristics but they are extemely rare or are the result of a botched reconstruction.

I hope the originator of this topic takes the advice to heart and does some experimentation . I think they will quickly learn the limitations of the craft and enjoy it. Toons are great fun.

Pesimist

Seaman

I don't think so. My comments can be very short and blunt. I apologize for that.

However, there is very little to nothing that can be physically wrong with a toon. Other than what is on top, they are as basic as you can get.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen bad hulls with very weird handling characteristics but they are extemely rare or are the result of a botched reconstruction.

I hope the originator of this topic takes the advice to heart and does some experimentation . I think they will quickly learn the limitations of the craft and enjoy it. Toons are great fun.

Rambling remarks at best, clueless relating to the RPT problems that Hankson posted - definitely deserves an FU. Really got a kick out of the "Trim" and "load distribution" crap. As if trim on a pontoon significantly changes the angle of attack. Sylvan Pontoons with RPT's are extremely stern heavy even on plane.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I think that was misunderstood, some time ago a person who went by fuclaw or some thing like that used to haunt this forum, and in all honesty it looked like fuclaw intent was to cause problems. He has been referred to as FU ever since, If it was misunderstood it was not my intentions and I do very sincerely apologize.

Hankson

Cadet

OK gentlemen lets not get so serious about the whole thing, Fleetwin, you just don't know what you are talking about irt the RPT toons. The "V" shape lets the toon surmerge quicker than a round surface which allows it to "dig" in deeper and pull the boat off to one side. I have no ulterior motive for complaining about the function of this boat. wHAT YOU NEED TO DO IF YOU ARE SO CONCERNED ABOUT THIS issue is to go to a Sylvan dealer and test a 8525 with the 200hp motor. I think you will eat a lot of crow if you do. O, I have 50 years boating experiance with every kind of boat except sail and cats. Thanks for the support craigmack and pesimist. I as many do, come to forums like this for help when I have a problem or to offer my help when I can. I can't begin to figure how much $$ sites like these have saved me. However, we have to be polite at best if at all possible, because every post here could be our last. THANK YOU ALL AGAIN FOR THE BRAIN ENERGY EXSPENDED IRT MY PROBLEM!