SX-M outdrive not going into reverse consistently

Rupp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys,
My SM-X outdrive just started not wanting to engage into reverse. When I put it in reverse it sometimes goes in immediately and once in a while it takes 4-5 seconds. I checked the shift cable and it's "snapping" the gear into reverse so I'm confidant that it's not a shift cable issue. So I assume it's an issue with my shift assembly. The boat is 23 years old so I'm guessing that this part may be worn or the cone clutch is worn. So I'm asking for opinions on a plan of attack. I was going to first change the outdrive oil and test. Then was going to replace the shift assembly and hope and pray this is it. Lastly I was going to take it to a mechinac to go from there. Any suggestions as to the most likely cause of this issue? Thanks in advance.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Yes, definitely change/inspect the gear oil. Was it changed recently? SX M drives work best with a quality GL5 rated lube

Issue could be simple as a shift adjustment/worn cable. Need to inspect that before swapping drive parts

Rupp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes, definitely change/inspect the gear oil. Was it changed recently? SX M drives work best with a quality GL5 rated lube

Issue could be simple as a shift adjustment/worn cable. Need to inspect that before swapping drive parts
Thanks, yes the shift cable shifts the shift assembly into forward and reverse just fine. It's just not fully "catching" making me believe the clutch is worn out.