Sx-m outdrive noise

Poco2

Cadet
When first put into gear there appears a slight whirring noise from the outdrive. Out of the water I turned the propeller by hand and can hear a slight whirring from the lower unit. The turning of the prop is smooth and even. It sounds like a metallic bearing noise. It is not Very loud and goes away upon acceleration due to engine noise. It is a 5.0l with a four blade prop with all maintenance done. It has 150 hours. Outdrive never off. This is my first I/O so I don't know what to expect. I have had the boat four years and purchased it from the original owner with 50 hours on it. Is this type of noise normal?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.....

What's the oil look like,..??

Who's been servicin' it for the last 4 years,..??

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Do you change the gear oil every year? When was the last time? I would drain it, make sure you have oil and there's no water....

Poco2

Cadet
The previous owner took it to the dealer every year to be serviced, stored and readied for summer. I don't think the outdrive oil was changed. I don't know. When we bought it we changed engine oil, filter, fuel filter and water pump impeller. We also changed the outdrive oil. I am more of a believer in hours rather than doing everything every year. With synthetic oils it seems excessive to change after 25 hours of use. The outdrive should be changed every 100 hours so I just changed it using Volvo penta synthetic oil. It was black but no water in it. It was also full. I also read somewhere that the outdrive should be removed and serviced every two years. Does anybody do that? What other service, other than changing oil, is there?

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I also read somewhere that the outdrive should be removed and serviced every two years. Does anybody do that? What other service, other than changing oil, is there?

Anyone who likes to stay on top of routine maintenance will pull the drive atleast every 2 years. Personally, I pull mine every year. It takes maybe half an hour to pull the drive, check the alignment, grease the shaft splines, grease the u-joints if applicable, make sure the u-joint bellows are free of both water and gear lube, and reinstall the drive. If water gets into the bellows and you don't catch it early enough, you better be ready for a lot more than half an hour of work. Also, when you do have to remove the drive to fix something, you'll be really glad you've done it recently and corrosion isn't an issue.

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The previous owner took it to the dealer every year to be serviced, stored and readied for summer. I don't think the outdrive oil was changed. I don't know. When we bought it we changed engine oil, filter, fuel filter and water pump impeller. We also changed the outdrive oil. I am more of a believer in hours rather than doing everything every year. With synthetic oils it seems excessive to change after 25 hours of use. The outdrive should be changed every 100 hours so I just changed it using Volvo penta synthetic oil. It was black but no water in it. It was also full. I also read somewhere that the outdrive should be removed and serviced every two years. Does anybody do that? What other service, other than changing oil, is there?

The boat yard that stores my boat does it every year. If you do your own winterization and choose not to do it I'm sure that's ok but id do it every 2 years at least. Look at the situation your in now. Not to say that changing the oil each year would prevent it but it might help to know what's going on in there...

bts2

Cadet
My Lower unit makes the same noise. I changed the drive oil last summer when I got the boat, was dark but clear, no water. FIrst boat - seasoned mechanic - still learning the in's and out's of I/O's. What would be making that noise and is it something to worry about or does the lower unit need rebuilding? Ugh.

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
As a somewhat newbie myself I don't know. However anything that spins at that high rpm for that long is not something I want making noise.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
I do mine every year. Very easy with the stand I made.

Paramount to have a stand as i just found out....those drive's weight what 175lbs and trying to thread that shaft into the splines is a bit like the old monkey joke...Just saying..

Poco2

Cadet
Well, I personally don't see what pulling the outdrive every year or two accomplishes. But to each his own. I probably will change the outdrive fluid more often. As far as the lower drive noise goes pulling the drive would not have prevented that. Maybe changing the fluid may have. Thanks to all for the great input. I am learning.

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, I personally don't see what pulling the outdrive every year or two accomplishes. But to each his own. I probably will change the outdrive fluid more often. As far as the lower drive noise goes pulling the drive would not have prevented that. Maybe changing the fluid may have. Thanks to all for the great input. I am learning.

Are you a marine mechanic? See what I'm saying?

Your opinion is almost null and void if those that specialize in this, say that's what you do, the shaft of the outdrive is lubed' up when its installed/connected to the engine. How long should this be ignored? Is it s 1 and done? This needs to be at least be looked at every 2 years and re lubed' up every time you separate the 2 parts if not every 2 years.

I'm a noobie just like you and even I see the logic here. I'm not attacking you either, I just don't feel like this is an issue that falls under "opinion".

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Suggest you read some of the requests for advice re. removing the outdrive when it hasn't been removed for service for a while.

Poco2

Cadet
Are you a marine mechanic? See what I'm saying?

Your opinion is almost null and void if those that specialize in this, say that's what you do, the shaft of the outdrive is lubed' up when its installed/connected to the engine. How long should this be ignored? Is it s 1 and done? This needs to be at least be looked at every 2 years and re lubed' up every time you separate the 2 parts if not every 2 years.

I'm a noobie just like you and even I see the logic here. I'm not attacking you either, I just don't feel like this is an issue that falls under "opinion".

I finally determined the problem this season. But first:

No, I am not a "marine" mechanic. But I have many years of mechanical experience. It is my opinion that there is no need to pull the out drive for routine maintenance. None! You and others certainly have a right to your opinion. The previous owner took the boat to a dealer for five years and the out drive was never pulled. I can guarantee that. I pulled it for the first time this year and it slid right out.Ten years and it wasn't frozen. The only reason I pulled it was to get the cone clutch out. Now its good for another ten years!

Now the problem. This year the drive would not engage when put into forward. Rev the engine slightly and it would engage. The shift cable was out of adjustment causing the cone clutch to be slightly toward forward when in neutral.This caused the whine because it was slipping until more throttle was given. I adjusted the cable but it was to late for the clutch (also called the sliding sleeve). A new cone clutch solved that problem.

Why was is not adjusted correctly? Did it come from VP that way? Did the "marine mechanic" is was taken to misadjust it for some reason? I'll never know. Check your shift cable adjustment. It's not rocket science.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
If you had pulled the lower off you could have noticed the adjustment was off before any damage was done. That would be part of the yearly inspection, cables stretch, things wear. How can you guarantee that the dealer never pulled the lower off, did you watch them do the service? If you don't want to take the advice from the people who know, why did you ask?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It is my opinion that there is no need to pull the out drive for routine maintenance. None!
How about to see if there is water in the bellows. How about checking alignment. You did check alignment when you put the drive back on right? Lubing the input shaft into the coupler.

Did you at least change the u-joint bellows?

BTW, Volvo recommends changing the u-joint bellows every 5 years.

You should change your gear lube annually.