SX Cobra gear-oil fill question. Full but not leaking out side plug ?

Rustychain

Cadet
1996 Volvo Penta SX Cobra. I think this is from the years where SX cobras was joint venture w/ OMC. Filling outdrive by slowly pumping into the bottom drain plug. The upper plug on the side is removed but no oil has dripped out. I have pumped in just less than 2.5 quarts judging by marks on side of gallon jug. Oil level at dipstick is 1/4" above the top of machined flat part of dipstick. By measuring outside, it looks like oil level is almost 2" above the open side plug. Looking for advice, as I was expecting the oil to reach the side plug to indicate it is full. Any suggestions? Using Volvo-Penta gear oil. Temp in garage is 65 degrees F, so oil flows freely.

Rustychain

Cadet
I figured this out, but don't see how to delete this post.
The plug I removed on the Port side is not the correct plug. Not sure what this plug is for.
The correct plug for checking oil level is behind the plastic cover on the back end of the drive.

alldodge

Staff member
Good to hear you figured it out and no need to delete post. It's always good to have posted a problem and also the result to fix, this will help others

Thanks