SX-A, what does a bad gimbal feel like when inspecting?

void7910

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all. Have the boat back in the water and noticing some vibration/noise when turning my mind immediately went to gimbal except I just had the drive off and all was well. The U-Joints were tight, there was no sign of water intrusion and the gimbal spun freely. It wasn't 100% smooth, I could feel the bearings move inside but it did move freely, without any fuss (grinding etc). I am wondering what a bad gimbal would feel like when inspecting manually?

void7910

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks! I guess I have no point of reference :) It's hard to explain, it wasn't gritty but I could definitely feel the bearing movement. I haven't had it changed in the few years we've had it so guess it's time anyway

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just replaced mine yesterday but my old bearing was absolutely awful. With the alignments tool part the way out it sounded like rocks rolling around in there when rotated.

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When you folks say moving "it" you mean the outdrive?.... manually moving the thing from side to side when the boat is out of the water?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
When you folks say moving "it" you mean the outdrive?.... manually moving the thing from side to side when the boat is out of the water?
No, turning the bearing with your finger tip

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm sorry, I don't understand, but I would like to know because there is some loose play when I move the SX outdrive when it's out of the water, and I was wondering if this could be the gimbal bearing, or as the guy I bought the boat from said... "that's normal with power steering"...?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'm sorry, I don't understand, but I would like to know because there is some loose play when I move the SX outdrive when it's out of the water, and I was wondering if this could be the gimbal bearing, or as the guy I bought the boat from said... "that's normal with power steering"...?
You have to pull the drive off to get to the gimbal bearing that supports the drive shaft. Your issue has nothing to do with the thread topic

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I apologize, I thought that was directly related. Thank you for the clarification.

Jprevat

Petty Officer 1st Class
No biggie. You will get more apt help if you start your own thread.