SX-A tilt / trim pump replacement tips?

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm setting out to do this job. Old one has no activity, suddenly just went silient. Sparked leads at battery when connected directly to battery, no movement, no sound. + and- 12v reads at the connector (relay ok then as I understand it)

Instructions seem to indicate I need to remove entire outdrive to access the lines. Is this true?
How can I make sure the 2 hydraulic arms aren't siezed or full of water so they don't kill the new pump?

Any other tips on doing this job with the $2400 CDN Volvo part? Any knowledge by someone who has done one or knows is much appreciated!

boatdude100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I saw this thank you. I'm going to do it based on this video. I was hoping for a few thoughts from people who have done it. I hear it's a relatively common problem. Anyone?

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
I brought a Mercruiser trim pump to a place that rebuilds starters and alternators. They rebuilt the electric motor part of the trim pump for a lot less than a new trim pump.

Had them do the electric motor part of an winch that mounts on a trunk bumper.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
I brought a Mercruiser trim pump to a place that rebuilds starters and alternators. They rebuilt the electric motor part of the trim pump for a lot less than a new trim pump.

Had them do the electric motor part of an winch that mounts on a trunk bumper.
I saw this thank you. I'm going to do it based on this video. I was hoping for a few thoughts from people who have done it. I hear it's a relatively common problem. Anyone?
I have just completed this today on my Boat and my trim works like it should. Have not done a water test yet and if there are leaks, all won't last too long. Silly that Volvo put these where they did:(. My old trim motor had a dead spot on the armature. I took the motor apart; (Must have a Vise, Hammer, Big Screwdriver). The motor has 4 pieces (Body, Armature, brush holder, top cover). After cleaning out all the carbon dust and running some fine grit on the copper, the motor reads out on my meter and works post assembly. Put it back in? I by a lot of luck and research found a perfect replacement motor in the form of a RS-997 12-24VDC motor that is used in many bigger battery power tools. I verified the specs and dimensions on my old motor with a micrometer, ensured the end of the motor shaft was d-shaped and I ordered the thing on EBAY. Folks, the motor was $36.14 with shipping! I ordered the pump cover gasket as well. Its Part Number is 3841015. The whole job is not bad except for the boot that covers the top of the motor just before final installation. The video in this post is the best one I've seen when it comes to this task. He was able to get his going again without having to disassemble the motor itself. Mine needed more attention but does work fine now. Guess I have a spare. Could not - not replace with a fresh part with the cost. Hope this post gives much hope to all that thought that $1392 for OEM and $500 for an aftermarket Trim Pump Assembly set up was the only way.

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have just completed this today on my Boat and my trim works like it should. Have not done a water test yet and if there are leaks, all won't last too long. Silly that Volvo put these where they did:(. My old trim motor had a dead spot on the armature. I took the motor apart; (Must have a Vise, Hammer, Big Screwdriver). The motor has 4 pieces (Body, Armature, brush holder, top cover). After cleaning out all the carbon dust and running some fine grit on the copper, the motor reads out on my meter and works post assembly. Put it back in? I by a lot of luck and research found a perfect replacement motor in the form of a RS-997 12-24VDC motor that is used in many bigger battery power tools. I verified the specs and dimensions on my old motor with a micrometer, ensured the end of the motor shaft was d-shaped and I ordered the thing on EBAY. Folks, the motor was $36.14 with shipping! I ordered the pump cover gasket as well. Its Part Number is 3841015. The whole job is not bad except for the boot that covers the top of the motor just before final installation. The video in this post is the best one I've seen when it comes to this task. He was able to get his going again without having to disassemble the motor itself. Mine needed more attention but does work fine now. Guess I have a spare. Could not - not replace with a fresh part with the cost. Hope this post gives much hope to all that thought that $1392 for OEM and $500 for an aftermarket Trim Pump Assembly set up was the only way.
I just hope it's marine rated. Anything in the bilge like a relay or electric motor needs to be marine rated. Otherwise some gas fumes in the bilge and boom.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just hope it's marine rated. Anything in the bilge like a relay or electric motor needs to be marine rated. Otherwise some gas fumes in the bilge and boom.
On this model, it is mounted on the transom outside of the boat. No concern about fumes.