Switching out wrong oil in the lower end

cmuzzy

Cadet
I have a 1971 50 hp evinrude model 50173s. I was told to change out the lower end oil with type c oil after i recently bought it. I found out the previous owner put the wrong oil in the lower end. I was wondering if the lower end is shot now or can i change out the oil. If I can change out the oil what is the best way? Thanks for your imput.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Switching out wrong oil in the lower end

Just pull the fill and vent plugs and let drain, may want to flush by putting some new oil in vent and let it run out the fill hole. Let it set for awhile and drain completely. Make sure to replace seals on fill/vent screws.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Switching out wrong oil in the lower end

There are two screw-in plugs on the starboard side of the lowere unit. One is right at the bottom and the other is just below the cavitiation plate. When you remove the bottom one oil will dribble out so remove the top also to allow it to completely drain.

The manual says to fill through the bottom hole with a pump and when the oil starts to flow from the top hole the unit is full. Replace the top plug first ensuring the gasket is good. Now remove the pump and replace the bottom plug before the oil leaks out.

The first time I changed the oil, I didn't have a pump, so after draining the old oil I fillled from the top, replace the plugs, ran for a minute on the muffs, then topped up from the top again. That worked for me. I have the pump now and I use that.

My 50173s would not shift into reverse until I changed out the oil. Could have been the wrong oil in it or could have been gummed up from sitting a long time. Don't know but is has worked fine for two years now with no problems. Good little motor. Good luck with yours.