cd module?

I have a 86 50hp force And I got it to fire once and run great after a little tinkering around. well a drunk family member put it in gear at full throttle and the prop sucked in the muffs and stalled the engine. I havn't been able to get it to run since I only have spark from top coil or module but not my bottom. now are these considered a coil or cd module? on my motor there are two black boxes with the spark plug wire coming directly out. and is there anything I should check before forking over 4bills for a new one. thanks for any help.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: cd module?

I think drunk family member owes you an outboard. Period.<br /><br />Have him pay for a nice 2 cylinder Johnson or evinrude from the late 80's or early 90's.<br /><br />How long did it run after he? put it in gear?<br /><br />Did it overheat?<br />Did the motor sieze?

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Switch the coils around first...that will tell you if its bad (and coils are only $60)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Should just be regular old coils on that model, if it is an '86. No cd, cdi, or cdm.

the motor didn't overheat or seize it still seems to crank over just fine. its like the damn thing is so close to firing its frustrating. we had it running for about 6-10 minutes before the muffs flew right in.does anyone know where I can see a picture of these coils because i cant find anything on the net that comes close to looking like mine. and if they really are 60 bucks let me know where because every shop in colorado has quoted me the same price 397.99 per coil. direct from merc. I will switch them around and let u know thanks for all the help.....

sorry for the mistake but i wasn't paying attention and my engine is a 88 force 50hp. sorry for the confusion.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

There were several different versions of ignition systems on the 1988 50hp.<br /><br />Gonna have to post the entire model number and serial number to be sure what you have and what you need.<br /><br />One system had separate coil and cd unit.<br />Another had cd and coil combined in one unit.<br />And I believe there was a third version.<br /><br />I looked up the combined unit from Merc, list price was $353, discounted to $287.<br /><br />Aftermarket brand was $160 or $144.<br /><br />Post your motor numbers and I will steer you toward the correct part. Or contact maxrules.com for expert advice.

this may sound sad but where abouts would I find those numbers on the motor just so i post the right ones? thanks again for any help

i have also found the motor to backfire pretty hard after cranking for a little bit it blows water everywhere and smoke comes out. could this be a timing isue or something to do with my 2cyl not having spark? I got the model number but i didn't bring it with me today. will post soon thanks for all the help..