Switching from Volvo Penta 4.3 to Mercruiser 4.3

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2002 Larson SEI 180. Original engine was Volvo Penta 4.3 with i believe SX outdrive. Previous owner removed all the drivetrain parts so I am putting a newly rebuilt Mercruiser 4.3 v6 with an Alpha one gen 2 oudrive. Had to drill a couple holes for the transom plate ( if I recall it correctly). The throttle controller is original one with the original Volvo Penta shifting and throttle cables. They look different from the Mercruiser ones. I have a Quicksilver 3000 throttle controller with the Mercruiser cables. So my question is, should I replace just the cables if it is possible or should I replace the whole setneeded. oller with the cables? I can make pictures of both if needed.
Thank you

alldodge

Staff member
Unable to say for sure but I would think the amount of movement would be the same between the two controls. Maybe Scott Danforth or Lou might know different

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You will need the cables. The VP shift cable runs all the way to the drive. The merc cable only runs to the shift assembly

dlogvine

You will need the cables. The VP shift cable runs all the way to the drive. The merc cable only runs to the shift assembly

Would I be able to use the same original shift throttle controller and change just cables or should i get the one for mercruiser? It looks different from the ones I've seen before.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
When going from VP to merc, unbolt all that is VP, and install all that is Merc

alldodge

Staff member
I might try, what's the worst that could happen, they don't work :rolleyes:

Even the longer cable, if movement is the same it would work

dlogvine

I might try, what's the worst that could happen, they don't work :rolleyes:

Even the longer cable, if movement is the same it would work

The cables have different connecting ends on the shifter plate side. But I did not look too close to see if it is just the screw on parts that could be replaced. Will have to take a look at the throttle controllers side by side to see if I can replace just the cables. Then there will be another fun part, connecting all the electrical harness to the dashboard. Previous owner unplugged everything and removed all the harnesses together with the engine. I really dont like digging through the wires. It is like putting together a puzzle without any idea how it should look at the end to me.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A wiring diagram for the MerCruiser is available on the web. That would give you an end point for your puzzle. It is likely the engine wiring colors are the same.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have a Teleflex control for my OMC which I have yet to install. But looking at the instructions what I learned is that the OE controls usually work only on that make of engine. OMC and Merc seemed to have controls that were specific to their set up. But, if the Volvo boat came with that Teleflex (Now Seastar) control it is adaptable to OMC, Merc or Volvo. What changes:
Does the throttle cable push or pull to advance it and does the shift cable push or pull to shift into FWD? Post up a pic of what you have; I have seen VP boats with the Teleflex control and this is adaptable to Merc using the right cable adapters and hooking the cables up to the correct tabs on the control.