switching from aluminum to stainless

nhcris

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 5, 2012
Messages
29
I have an opportunity to get a polished stainless prop real cheap. My question is I currently have a 14.5x19 aluminum on there now, the new viper s.s. prop is a 14.25x21. Will I notice any difference at bottom end or top end? Any reason I shouldnt buy it? Thanks in advance!
 

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Mar 15, 2012
Messages
198
Re: switching from aluminum to stainless

If its cheap enough its worth a shot. You can always resell it. They go fast this time of year. You will get a bit more WOT speed but your rpms will go down a bit. Hole shot may suffer a bit though.

How cheap are we talking?

If you do buy it and it dosnt work out for you I may be willing to take it off your hands for the same price plus shipping. As long at its 15 spline.
 

nhcris

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 5, 2012
Messages
29
Re: switching from aluminum to stainless

it is a 15 spline, going on my cobra outdrive. It is going to cost me 130 with shipping. That sound s pretty good,no?
 

coopin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Mar 15, 2012
Messages
198
Re: switching from aluminum to stainless

it is a 15 spline, going on my cobra outdrive. It is going to cost me 130 with shipping. That sound s pretty good,no?

If its brand new thats not to bad.

I picked up a 14x23 ss the other day for $95 bucks used (once) had to drive an hour to pick it up but so glad I did.

Considering these props are running at least $260 brand new I would say $130 is still a heck of a price. Worth a shot.

If it does not work send me a PM and I might take it off your hands. If not it will not last longer than a day or two on craigslist (at least in my area not sure about NH).
 

jkust

Rear Admiral
Joined
Aug 2, 2008
Messages
4,942
Re: switching from aluminum to stainless

it is a 15 spline, going on my cobra outdrive. It is going to cost me 130 with shipping. That sound s pretty good,no?

Just saw this but don't forget you need to buy a new hub as well for the new prop. They seem to run at the least $40. The one I just bought for my sig boat was $52 by itself.
 

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Joined
May 24, 2004
Messages
14,677
Re: switching from aluminum to stainless

What rpm are you achiving with the 19 alum? BTW what is it going on?
 
Top