Switched to tarps for boat covers this winter,

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer
and it is surprisingly working out great!

I have gone through a few different composite boat covers, including a couple of more expensive materials.
They lasted two, or maybe three years, with no longevity improvement based on cost.

So, I decided to try using heavy duty tarps, along with the same support structures.
The silver tarps shed snow better than any of the "regular" boat covers, and are holding up better.
They are simply stronger, overall, and have more effective waterproofing.

Sometimes, cheaper can be better.

:rolleyes:

Silver Eagle

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Switched to tarps for boat covers this winter,

I perfer heavy duty plastic tarps too. I bought a canvas tarp from I boats a couple of years ago. Used it one winter then I put it in storage.When I sell my pontoon boat they can have the tarp.I used there alum. poles and all I had was trouble with them. That was $500.00 wasted.

Philster

Captain

I estimate that in India alone there are approximately 700,000,000 (seven hundred MILLION) people living under tarps, and I am talkin' 'bout the cheapest blue meshy looking ones around. There are well over a billion people in the world living under tarps, and that estimate is probably a billion or two short.

In selling my old Scarab, holy cow did the new/potential owners whine about the cover. I found massive, strong tarps for fifty bucks and been using them on the fishun boat. Tarps (plastic and canvas) can be great alternatives.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Tarps are pretty good, but boats are not really rectangular, so they don't fit real well. I am now using cheap($100-$200), semi-custom boat covers frm Wallyworld. They have sewn in web straps and web strap connectors, so when you strap it to the trailer, the strap goes from one side of the trailer to the other side. Real strong and easy to use. They adjust for length easily. The secret is the supporting structure under them. I use a 2X4 ridge and tie 1/4" nylon line from each cleat or other fitting to the ridge and then to the oposite gunwale. This line supports the cover pretty well.

So far they have stayed on in the wind and rain. We have not had any snow here in NJ yet....I had one on my small boat last year in the 37" snowstorm that we had, w/o issue

brielly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I build 3 A-frames from 2X4's which sit at the bow, center and stern. I run 2 long 2X4's along the top-one from the front to center and another center to back. In years past I also used electrical conduit $.80 each, bent them over the top and secured them to help keep the shape. This year I made the A-frame high enough to where they probably were't needed. Over the top goes a $60 dollar silver tarp. This has worked well for me every year. Snow and water are easily shed from the tarp due to the height of the A-frames. The tarp gets replaced every 1-2 years and the 2X4's get re-used. I figure its easily under $80 to cover my boat each year. Shrink wrap is around $250-300 in my area of NJ and of course you cant get into the boat once its done.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I've got a OEM custom fitted boat cover that I use in the summer. (ie, $$$) Looks great, goes on well, trailers easily, but... In the winter, that gets stored under the real protection, a cheap blue tarp!!

Winter will beat up anything covering your boat, so I use a cheap disposable blue tarp for that. They last 2 years, at the end of the second winter I'm usually removing the tarp in pieces, but it did it's job...

Philster

Captain

I use PVC pipe to hold up mine on the fishun boat. Plenty o' bungees, a tuck here and there around the bow and she''s good to go.

Oshkosh1

Ensign

I keep my fishing boat outside in the winter...use a fitted cover AND two overlapping blue tarps. As stated before, the cover is great for trailering and summer use, but the "slick" tarp sheds snow much more effectively. I just use bungees, and water(ice) filled gallon milk jugs tied along the perimeter to keep it tight.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

I use the silver and brown heavy duty tarps from HD. It takes a couple of hours to trim it to a better shape and put in a few extra grommets to secure it. They usually last about a year, but for >$50 I can't complain. I put a new one on before each winter (my boat is stored outside).

If you can arrange the tarp so that there are no pressure points it'll last longer. Mine usually fails were the tarp goes over the console grab rail.

Spraying it with 303 might make it last longer.

cyclops2

Banned

Cotton Duck covers are great if resealed every 3 years. The framework ( BOWS ) are what make the difference.
STEEP sides are the secret. & parking it close to a bunch of downwind trees. Works for me.
Can not be lazy & leave snow on the covers. Snow stops. Out I go.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I made & used a 20ft "sawhorse" that had 3ft legs on one end and 18" legs on the other for many years on my old old boat. I used 2 12ft x 12 ft tarps--easyer that one big tarp.

chriscraft254

Commander

The silver tarps with the brown on the other side will last you about 3 years before the grommets start ripping out. Depends on how well it is stretched over the boat and how bad of snow and wind you get. Mine is a little easier though having ahardtop as a natural high point to shed from.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I have the same cover with the sewn in straps... Great cover for the money. ;)
Tarps are pretty good, but boats are not really rectangular, so they don't fit real well. I am now using cheap($100-$200), semi-custom boat covers frm Wallyworld. They have sewn in web straps and web strap connectors, so when you strap it to the trailer, the strap goes from one side of the trailer to the other side. Real strong and easy to use. They adjust for length easily. The secret is the supporting structure under them. I use a 2X4 ridge and tie 1/4" nylon line from each cleat or other fitting to the ridge and then to the oposite gunwale. This line supports the cover pretty well.

So far they have stayed on in the wind and rain. We have not had any snow here in NJ yet....I had one on my small boat last year in the 37" snowstorm that we had, w/o issue