Switchbox Testing ?

StratosRob

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does anyone know how to test a switchbox. The engine is a 1978 mercury 150V
Thanks

Laddies

Banned
Re: Switchbox Testing ?

There is not really a switch box test but with a DVA you can test input and output to tell if it's working. Also on a V/6 you can switch wires on the boxes to test

StratosRob

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What should the voltage be coming from the stator to the box. Also what kind of voltage should be coming out of the box to the coils.Thanks

Laddies

Banned

Low speed windings-blue/blue white=150+ volts
High speed windings-red/red white==20+ volts
Out put to coils== 150+ volts
Trigger wires== 4+ volts

StratosRob

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks< I'm use to johnson/Evinrude This is for a friend that had this motor just given to him. Compression is 120 even in all cylinders.(good for the year)He dosent want to put a whole lot of money in it. Just in case it knocks or something. Any Idea where i can get a wiring diagram online. Also the switchboxes were in the boat not on the motor. So we are starting from scratch.I told him top go buy a manual Thanks

j_martin

Admiral

Go get a manual for the engine. The CD rom manuals available on E-bay are ok for general trouleshooting. They are scan grabs, so the pictures tend to be a little fuzzy, but they usually have a wide variety of diagrams in them so you can match your engine pretty close.

One thing, the voltage measurements on a Merc engine are made with a peak reading voltmeter. A regular radio shack multimeter will read way low without a special adapter.

hope it helps
John