Switch box can damage stator?

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm changing my stator(1988 Merc90 3 cylinder) and CharlieB wrote in a post that a bad switchbox can damage a stator. If my dva readings are to spec with new stator(engine cold and hot) is that good or do I need to test for excessive current draw caused by the switchbox?
I'm changing the stator because of low speed(blue wire) dva voltage being to low and weak/no spark on all cylinders.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Switch box can damage stator?

Also make sure the starter is capable of cranking the motor at least the minimum cranking speed of 300 RPM needed to generate sufficient voltage for the ignition system to function.

Unless you troll a lot, it is more likely that a bad switchbox will overload the high speed windings as far more heat and time are spent at higher speeds.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

You might want to test the rectifier also. If it is the small square one, with 3 post, they will go bad and cause trouble.
Oldman570

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't troll alot and I have a new rectifier ready to put on. As far as cranking(new battery) the high speedRed) always tested good, the low speed(Blue) tested low voltage and didn't pass the ohms test.
Thanks.
Ray

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Ohms test are simply a guide, ALWAYS dispell any suspicion with DVA tests.

DVA is the ONLY reliable indicator with proven reliable results.