Swim platform cost?

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Our boat details are below. I'm considering a swim platform as I'm getting nervous when our kids are horsing around on the back of the boat. I'm constantly telling them (ages 10 and 12) to be careful around the prop when we're parked near sandbars. My kids are usually pretty mindful of the prop, but sometimes they have friends over and they tend to forget - in spite of our constant reminders. So, a few questions re: swim platforms:

1) Is there a particular brand or model you'd recommend for our simple boat? I'm just considering something reliable and sturdy.

2) Any particular size you'd recommend?

3) How much do these things cost? And how much would you expect to pay for installation? (I doubt I'll do it on my own)

Thanks in advance!

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Swim platform cost?

Google "swim platform" and you will find a selection of sites relating to your question.

The is one I looked at, www.swimplatforms.com, tha has your model on their list and pictures to look at.

Prices will be all over the board based on what you decide you want and want to afford. I would personally prefer as larger platform as I have had small ones and large and like the extra space. A lot will depend on your boat.

Installation is pretty straight forward, you could easily do it yourself in a couple hours (need time to dither and procrastinate). To have it installed would probably run (a guess - I would expect to pay) from $150 to $500 depending on size and complexity.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

I suggest you check Craigslist. Swim platforms come up for sale regularly. Maybe you'll get lucky and find one that works for you.
If you do it make sure they use large backing plates inside the hull and use 3M 4200 to seal all the holes.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The website Bob mentioned is the one I have heard the most about. I was looking at extending the platform on my Cobalt 293. The service manager at the marina told me he had a customer who had an extension done by them and it was really nice. According to him it looked factory built. If I remember right, the cost was upwards of $1500. Now, that was also a 293 with a 9'-6" beam and had to contend with the existing moulded in platform, so your's might be cheaper.

Texas Parrothead

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I got a quote from swimplatforms.com. for a platform for my '93 2000SL Chaparral. It is as follows:

platform: $1195
crating: $92
S&H: $146

it's dimensions are 82" x 27" and weighs approx 90lbs.

they have a 1-2 week lead time and I have a very good marine shop that say they can install it for 7 hours @ $95/hr. (not sure if this is high or not for installation). This shop specializes in installing platforms from swimplatforms.com so they are very experienced in this and I know they are a reputable shop (by the way this shop does all the fiberglass repair work for bass pro shop in the DFW area).

So I am looking at a total of $2098.

My boat is in the shop now having it installed. I will post some pics once I get it back.

strokeoluck

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys. $2,000 sounds like a lot for what I was envisioning. And it's interesting that someone said an hour or two (maybe that was on the SP site), but last poster said the shop quoted him SEVEN hours. :eek:

I'm mostly just trying to keep the kids from falling into the prop/lower unit when we're in shallow water playing around (when we're in deeper water I keep the lower unit down, reducing the serious risk of falling right onto the unit). It doesn't seem right to spend $1k to $2k for that security. :confused: Heck, we only paid $9,000 for the boat/trailer, so we'd be spending upwards of 22% more just to add a piece of plastic on the back of the boat.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what do y'all use them for? Our Bayliner already has a simple swim platform molded into the back. Were it not for the prop sticking out I'd be just fine w/that built-in platform.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Thanks guys. $2,000 sounds like a lot for what I was envisioning. And it's interesting that someone said an hour or two (maybe that was on the SP site), but last poster said the shop quoted him SEVEN hours. :eek:

How much will a trip to the ER cost on a weekend to stitch up a kid's foot?...

As far as time, this isn't anything that yourself and a buddy can't do in a couple hours. 7 hours shoptime is VERY high, myself and a friend put one on in maybe 3-4 hours total work time, if you take out food/beer breaks. (and it was our first time installing one, in a very tough boat to work in)

spikeitaudi

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm mostly just trying to keep the kids from falling into the prop/lower unit when we're in shallow water playing around (when we're in deeper water I keep the lower unit down, reducing the serious risk of falling right onto the unit). It doesn't seem right to spend $1k to $2k for that security. :confused: Heck, we only paid $9,000 for the boat/trailer, so we'd be spending upwards of 22% more just to add a piece of plastic on the back of the boat.

At the risk of sounding stupid, what do y'all use them for? Our Bayliner already has a simple swim platform molded into the back. Were it not for the prop sticking out I'd be just fine w/that built-in platform.

I was thinking the samething of getting one but as I have seen the cost is around 1500 as well. For me right now it's not worth it. Plus if I add it I won't be able to put my boat in the garage.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

The dealer I bought my boat from said that the one for my boat would be about $900 installed. Seems like it might be worth checking with the dealership.